Oral Steroids and Joining up Query

I'll start off this thread by explaining that I haven't got asthma, nor have I ever had it. On my records there's nothing other than 2 chest infections one last year and one this year, prior to that I've never had anything wrong with me health wise, now my issue is that last year I was given a course of prednisolone for my chest infection, and this year I was given prednisolone for my chest infection, I had an ECG and X-Ray everything came back as normal, I was given prednisolone both times as a precaution, in the JSP950 it states

"
5. Candidates with a recorded history of asthma, with the following features, would be normally graded P8.

a. Those who have experienced symptoms or taken, or been prescribed any form of treatment within the last 4 yrs.

1. Those who have required more than one course of oral steroids80.

2. Those who have required more than one nebulisation since the age of 5.

3. Those who have had a single admission to Intensive care or high dependency, or
multiple admissions to hospital. "

I went to A&E both times on my own accord and was in and out within 5 hours, no repeat prescriptions or follow ups with my GP were requested, would I be graded PMU?

Also, I have the pharmacy bag with the , prednisolone untaken? (box open as doctor at A&E Wanted to show me the contents but all 40 tablets still sealed in the packets? So have not used them, serial number and doctor signature on back of prescribed box)

Last edited:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Careers Advisers cannot give definitive guidance, but I can hopefully clarify a few issues to help manage expectations.

If you were prescribed inhalers (steroidal or otherwise) it's a minimum of four years if asthma signs or symptoms were present - ie an asthmatic wheeze prompted the prescription.

So far as I'm aware, obviously it needs to be verified by a qualified medical examiner: A course of steroid tablets prescribed twice for the same type of upper respiratory tract infection, only count as one event.

In any case, you should be OK in the case of the tablets, if the blister pack is unopen/unused. The only reservation is that you were clearly struggling to breathe if you needed to attend A&E, which suggests it was an emergency.

The other thing many may not realise is that if they are prescribed asthma treatment into adulthood, then individuals cannot, later in life, claim to be asthma-free because the four year rule applies to childhood asthma due to under-developed lungs.

What to do? Submit an application but be aware that it is possible the service may insist on a four year period free from breathing difficulties and treatment.

Best of luck.

Careers Advisers cannot give definitive guidance, but I can hopefully clarify a few issues to help manage expectations.

If you were prescribed inhalers (steroidal or otherwise) it's a minimum of four years if asthma signs or symptoms were present - ie an asthmatic wheeze prompted the prescription.

So far as I'm aware, obviously it needs to be verified by a qualified medical examiner: A course of steroid tablets prescribed twice for the same type of upper respiratory tract infection, only count as one event.

In any case, you should be OK in the case of the tablets, if the blister pack is unopen/unused. The only reservation is that you were clearly struggling to breathe if you needed to attend A&E, which suggests it was an emergency.

The other thing many may not realise is that if they are prescribed asthma treatment into adulthood, then individuals cannot, later in life, claim to be asthma-free because the four year rule applies to childhood asthma due to under-developed lungs.

What to do? Submit an application but be aware that it is possible the service may insist on a four year period free from breathing difficulties and treatment.

Best of luck.

Good Afternoon, Ninja.

And thanks for the reply, it was a ventrolin inhaler for a chest infection.

I have an appointment with my GP in which I have agreed to bring her the oral steroid tablets and ventrolin inhaler, on my medical records it states that both times were for a chest infection (2016, 2017).

Is there any tests I can request that would help me? As the junior doctor gave me this prescription that I had insisted I won't use it, chest infection is all cleared up now..

and no follow up to my GP was advised for wheeze or otherwise.

How could one prove an inhaler was unused

P.S, the junior doctor at A&E was insistent it wasn't asthma related as I had asked him.

He gave me this inhaler to open my airways after my chest infection?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I'd hold-off on the time and expense of undergoing additional lung function tests at this stage. On the face of it, your breathing difficulties were due to the infection and hopefully this will be accepted without the need to appeal or produce further supporting evidence.

I'd hold-off on the time and expense of undergoing additional lung function tests at this stage. On the face of it, your breathing difficulties were due to the infection and hopefully this will be accepted without the need to appeal or produce further supporting evidence.

Thanks for the detailed reply, if one was prescribed oral steroids for a chest infection in 2016, then again in 2017, is that 2 courses or one? Foolishly I did not return the oral steroids last year, but this year although the doctor at A&E had opened the box (the box is a bit battered) the pills are still in the casing.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Thanks for the detailed reply, if one was prescribed oral steroids for a chest infection in 2016, then again in 2017, is that 2 courses or one? Foolishly I did not return the oral steroids last year, but this year although the doctor at A&E had opened the box (the box is a bit battered) the pills are still in the casing.
The medical examiner will determine this once in possession of your medical records. It's otherwise difficult to advise unfortunately, but the fact you have an unused prescription, I'd hope it goes in your favour.