Options for a 33 year old...

Sumo

War Hero
There are always those that would be out of their depth in a puddle, and as with all out of training need help, Most graduates need about 4 year's to be of real use that's when they get their CEng and move on? But it still does not stop them trying to do their best professionally.

dhobyitch

Lantern Swinger
There are always those that would be out of their depth in a puddle, and as with all out of training need help, Most graduates need about 4 year's to be of real use that's when they get their CEng and move on? But it still does not stop them trying to do their best professionally.

Mate, read the quote again... ;)

Sumo

War Hero
Now Google manure and manner! ;) Sorry Sumo, but reading 'professional manure' made me spill my coffee and ruin a clean shirt.
Now I see sodding auto spell, you were trying to be subtle? I don't do subtle, slam it home with a cricket bat if that doesn't work use a bigger bat. As a dysfunctional dyslexic I cannot normally see my own cock-up until later, other peoples cock-ups I can spot but not my own. Manure still looks ok, train the expect shit?

Seadog

War Hero
However I cannot believe that in the 31 years since I left the RN the officer corp has lost ALL officers who enjoyed belittling those on the lower deck.

Argument to incredulity is a logical fallacy Slim.

I'm unaware of an Officers' generic derisory term for 'the chaps' and only recall two -ever- occasions when an officer spoke ill of 'the men' as a group. Both were dealt with, one officially, one unofficially but both routes were effective 'tune changers'. 20 years apart.

Just my experience, others may have many more, more recent and different.

If mutual respect and noblesse oblige don't inform an Officer's behaviour towards 'the lads' he or she would do well to remember that the Stewards have access to his or her toothbrush and scran.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I think there is often the assumption and misconception that degree = officer, by default.

It depends what you want to do and whether money is the primary motivator.

We actually recruit considerably more graduates as Royal Marines Other Ranks than we do Royal Marines Officers... and 85% of RM Officers are graduates. Degrees aren't necessary to join as RM, Warfare or Logistics Officers.

The advice from me, as a careers adviser, is look at both Rating and Officer jobs, what they actually do, where you feel you will gain the most job satisfaction and the importance of status, transferable skills and your earnings potential.

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
We actually recruit considerably more graduates as Royal Marines Other Ranks than we do Royal Marines Officers... and 85% of RM Officers are graduates. Degrees aren't necessary to join as RM, Warfare or Logistics Officers.

You also recruit considerably more RM other Ranks than you do Officers, by a continual and significant margin, which is another reason why many graduates join as ORs.

That withstanding I concur with your advice fully.

Sumo

War Hero
Ninja totally agree if you can ever find true job satisfaction and enjoy going to work, then it no longer feels like a job but a paid hobby, if only I could find that elusive job, maybe retirement is what I am looking for?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Ninja totally agree if you can ever find true job satisfaction and enjoy going to work, then it no longer feels like a job but a paid hobby, if only I could find that elusive job, maybe retirement is what I am looking for?
Sounds rather sad, but I can honestly say without a shadow of a doubt that my thirteen years as a RN Careers Adviser have been the most enjoyable, challenging and fulfilling. Nothing beats ringing someone up and saying; "Congratulations, you have been allocated a provisional entry date to join the Royal Navy".

Over the years I've learned to hold the phone a couple of feet away from my lugs ;)