Option of a new branch?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by RadioSilence, Oct 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just recieved a letter saying that due to medical reasons, I have been rejected in my application into the aircrew branch, as an aircrew officer. Obviously this is absolutely gutting, but I now want to find out if I have any options left. As it only said I was unable to enter aircrew, would that mean that I have the option of changing my application to Warfare? You see, the problem was with a suspected asthma issue, and I know that for aircrew there must be no possibility of asthma.

I would be REALLY gratefull for any help, advice or anything. I'm going to call the AFCO first thing on Monday morning, to see what they say, but I'm kinda hoping that you could let me know the best way to approach the issue.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Urrrmmm You could go to a aviation academy if you want to be a pilot. So you still have options.
  3. "I have been rejected in my application into the aircrew branch, as an aircrew officer" suggests that is not an option.
  4. I know there is that option, but it was the 'in the navy, as a pilot' side that attracted me. Best of both worlds, as they say. But, taking as much distance from the whole thing as possible, I was looking at the Navy before I discovered the role of pilot, and with the FAA ruled out, I am pretty sure that I still want to enter the Navy. I just hope it's possible.
  5. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

You answered your own question, phone on Monday. Ask why you were rejected and what your options are, two straight and to the point questions.

Log off & enjoy your weekend before someone like me decides to wind you up.
  6. What aviation academy?
  7. There's plenty of aviation academies around. The best in the UK is oxford aviation academy. Go and check out their website for details.

There's a lot airline pilot training companies around in USA and Spain but you need to pay around £30,000-£60,000 unless you get a scolarship, in which case fees are reduced.

I believe oxford aviation academy do offer help with funding for the ATPL (airline transport pilots licence) courses.

I did my pilot courses privately, so never went to an academy.
  8. Do you have an ATPL or CPL?
  9. I have both PPL and CPL and i'm currently taking my ATPL theory exams through distance learning. After, that, the fun begins and I can start flying 747 airliners!

Hopefully I can pass my ATPL exams before I go to Raleigh.
  10. ATPL before Raleigh! With respect, why are you going to Raleigh with a CPL (prospective ATPL)?
    What are your goals?
    How long/how much did it take to get to this stage?

I should declare my interest : I am working towards applying as Aircrew - Pilot.

(Good luck on your exams).
  11. Without respect.......Why are you going to Raleigh?
    If you look anything like your avitar you could become Prime Minister of Australia
  12. It is a good question to ask me why i'm going to Raleigh when I have a pilots licence, however the Navy has a lot to offer me and I, in turn, have a lot to offer the Navy.

I love my country and want to defend it and also i'm looking for job security and an adventure. I don't think I would stand much chance of passing aircrew pilot selection for the RAF or RN anyway.

But the airline industry is very very tough to get into, even with a ATPL licence. And also i'm nowhere near gaining my ATPL-it's going to take a lot more hard work and time..........and also money.

My PPL didn't take me long. About one year and my CPL took me longer, about 2-3 years.
  13. My bold:

That's what I thought when I questioned you, my apologies if it came accross as confrontational, that was not the intention.

For many who aspire to a career in aviation in one way or another the private academies are probably a non-option as many simply don't have 30'000 - 60'000 readies to do their training, and then battle it out in a very competetive job market. Swinging back to the OP, military is really the only option for many because whatever their ideas are about life-after-military-flying : the training (free in a monetary sense), stability, hours and aircraft types simply can't be found anywhere else.

Well done to you for managing to get all that under your belt before starting in the RN though! I understand about wanting to walk multiple paths. Keeping current whilst in the navy must be a bit of a bitch though.

Best of luck.

To the OP my commiserations and I hope you enjoy whatever it is you turn to instead!
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

But, there's no need to be sarcastic. :wink: