Opportunities for skill usage

Hi All,

For the past couple of years I've been working towards getting things in place so I can join the RNR. Fitness, schedule and general family routines etc. I'm now at the point where I'm applying and got an informal visit scheduled with my local unit in the next few weeks after putting my application in.

Without giving too much away on an online forum I've spent much of the past 15 years since I left school in the IT Security industry and worked my way up to board level. Always had an interest in the Navy and owned many boats over the years and through work I've gained a lot of interest in communications.
While I'm looking for a new challenge and adding a bit more of an adventurous side to my life I'd like to know if in the RNR there is much chance to do things like communications and the electronic side of things?

I have tried asking everyone I've engaged with so far and the answers I've got have been more along the lines of we'll get you to a good standard for basic training and then you can look at branches.

While I don't mind that, I'd just sort of like to know what the options actually are so I can start to focus on those elements. If it's not comms or whatever then fine I'm entirely open to looking at entirely new things, but if there are then obviously that's where my interest lie.

GR

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
@Branch-Hopper One for you I think
Obliged.

@GoldenRivet
A good question. In response I'd say there are two types of reservist (regardless of service) when it comes to branch choice:
a) Those who wish to do something totally different to their day jobs whilst in uniform.
b) Those who harness their civilian skills for the benefit of the MoD

I will say, having been prompted by the thread title, that the Cyber branch is the new kid on the block. I know one bod from Cyber, Promotion was more rapid than WW1 trenches! Whilst you would still have to do the basic stuff in unit/Raleigh Cyber then disappear up a router somewhere never to be seen by us maritime mortals ever again.

Have a look at this link: https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers/royal-naval-reserves/what-could-you-do/reserve-cyber-unit and follow the instructions. Cyber recruit outside of the normal route, for obvious reasons. Note there is a sub-link which lists what specific skills they need.

I can't/won't go into anymore detail on open forum, but I trust that this will set you off down the right path. Do report back as to how things develop.
All the best
B-H

Obliged.
@GoldenRivet
I can't/won't go into anymore detail on open forum, but I trust that this will set you off down the right path. Do report back as to how things develop.
Thanks Branch Hopper - much appreciated advice. I understand a few others have gone that route too from the Unity that would suit my location best so hopefully they'll be in a good position to guide me.

@GoldenRivet

Is that you back again, formerly the fragrant '@golden_rivet' ?
BOOTWU,
Not me (or them!?) GR is actually a nickname I picked up many years ago and thought it fitted, perhaps I'll have to consider giving it a change if it has undesirable associations around these parts.

@GoldenRivet Re Your: GR is actually a nickname I picked up many years ago and thought it fitted, perhaps I'll have to consider giving it a change if it has undesirable associations around these parts.

Stay with it - Just long as you are cool about the following connotation (others are available) :WINK:

'... On a naval ship, the normal folklore is that the special rivet is found in the depths of the engineering spaces, usually somewhere where the victim has to bend over to get a good look at it.
Once bent over, the victim is ~ ~ ~ ~' 1551247282239.png

From the Canuck Version of Jackspeak

Attachments

Latest Threads