opinions

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by rainbowb35, Apr 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi I am just looking for a bit of advice. I’ve been in the royal navy application process for around 2/3 years and passed AIB in the summer of 2011. It has now however been confirmed that I have not been selected into BRNC and that I shall have to re-sit AIB (looking at around December 2013). I shall still be in the age parameters for warfare officer but only just. So I think is realistic that I should start looking at other options for a career in the armed forces. How bad do you think it would look if I looked at the RAF Regiment/ started an application with them? Would they even let me have two applications for different forces open at once? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. I am not giving up on my application but is it time to start being realistic.

Thank you.

2. I personally would tell the Navy to **** off and move onto a more viable option.

3. tam

tam

Isn't not having been selected telling you something?

4. Why would you be looking at December 2013 for another AIB slot? The gap between AIB attendances is meant to be no less than 12 months - December 2013 is over a year and a half away, so your gap would be something like two and a half years.

What has your ACLO said to you?

5. I apologise i meant 2012.

6. Have you had a one-to-one with your ACLO recently, Rainbow?

7. I have spoken to him on the phone but not about opening up an application for the RAF and how that would look towards my application with the Royal Navy. I wouldn’t want to damage my chances of selection but am also eager to get a career moving. As I have been out of university 2 years and I suppose put my life on hold career wise whilst I am still in the application process.

8. You should go in to see him.

ACLOs get given feedback on candidates based on their performance at the AIB, helping them to choose the right kind of guidance to offer post-AIB. If you have an honest talk with your ACLO, you should be able to see how the land lies. It could be that you came within a whisker of being selected, in which case it would be a pity not to have another go, especially if you can get advice on where you might have fallen down a bit when it came to being selected. That way, you will know what to work on before your second attempt.

You should definitely see your ACLO in person before you make any decisions.

By the way, why the RAF Regiment?

9. I’ve had a look at myself and tried to see where my strengths lie and I think one of my best attributes is my fitness I completed the PJFT in 7.58 and at AIB out preformed everybody else on the bleep test. I also complete the marine joining fitness requirement once a month as kind of my own fitness test, however I am too small for a marine weighing in at 62 kg and struggle to keep any weight on over that. So the progression I have made looking at the RAF Regiment as a similar role to the marines one that I think would be rewarding and challenging and offer a excellent career.

10. Hi rainbow, my eldest is currently at BRNC and another son is trying for Marines so although not military myself I've had a little experience of the prep and selection process. I understand what you mean about life on hold and the roller coster of emotions selection brings. However, you've passed AIB, your fit, don't give up on all that hard work now. I agree with Soliell, get yourself down to your ACLO. Ask for an AIB debrief (they normally do these when you fail). They go through your whole performance at AIB and an indication if not a sneaky peek at your score! From that info you should be able to work out if and when a place at BRNC is likely.
    dont forget the new 4 intakes per year is only just starting.
    worse case is another go at AIB (ask for a canc date) and try and get it done ASAP, working hard on any weak areas.
    good luck.

11. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Standby, who has the pop corn.

12. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Janner, I have pop corn but cant be arrsed. If this failed Rupert wannabe has deduced the RAF Regt and the RM are the same then good skills on whoever failed him. He deserved it, dumbfuck.

• Like Like x 3
  13. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

To be honest I thought they were similar regiments - apart from the obvious (RMs don't go weekenders on a Wednesday)... :twisted:

14. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

What Corps do you know? It's all but a Religion weekenders starts on a Wednesday make 'n mend.

Raf snowdrop wannabee walt.

• Like Like x 1
  15. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Bite me, sugartits!!

16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Even the RAF have stopped pretending:

Why does the RAF have two levels of Battle Honour?
    In 1987, Her Majesty The Queen approved a proposal by the Air Force Board to allow battle honours approved by Her Majesty to be emblazoned on squadron Standards. Those squadrons which were required to operate under constant threat of attack and had demonstrated gallantry and spirit during combat operations may be awarded a Battle Honour with the right to emblazon the honour on their squadron Standard. Squadrons which participated in operations, albeit at a slightly lower level of danger, are awarded the Battle Honour without the right to emblazon the honour on their Standards.

RAF Regiment -* Battle Honours

Traditions & Insignia
    The Royal Marines have a proud history and unique traditions. Our colours (flags) do not carry individual battle honours in the manner of the regiments of the British Army but rather the "globe itself" as the symbol of the Corps.

Royal Marines Online - The Royal Marines Commandos History and Information

• Like Like x 1