Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Operation see off.

dsgrnmcm

Lantern Swinger
Ship mates,

Just been having a bash at the online pension calculator and as an SUY my recanable service starts from the age of 21 as opposed to 18, which means I dip out on 3 years worth of pension build up.

Is this right?

I have joined the FPS and will ask when my details arrive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Irezumi

Badgeman
Indeed it is true, myself and a few others were titspinningly overjoyed when we discovered this little gem. I'd be keen to hear what the FPS have to say if you don't mind sharing.

No doubt a "suck it up, buttercup" but I shall wait, out.

dsgrnmcm

Lantern Swinger
Well I hope not, because if we have to conform to the occifers 21 plus for pension start then we should be able to thin out after only 16 years of service and pension starts week one day one?

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jim the BinBag

Midshipman
There was something about this in LinkedIn last week if you're into that. Basically, dry yer eyes cupcake and note that the accrual rate for officer is higher than a rating - whatever that means

Rating in AFPS75 - 37 years service for full pension.
Officer in AFPS75 - 34 years service for full pension.
Officer in AFPS75 - 16 years from age 21 and 5 years commissioned service for immediate pension

What's your problem exactly?

Irezumi

Badgeman
Rating in AFPS75 - 37 years service for full pension.
Officer in AFPS75 - 34 years service for full pension.
Officer in AFPS75 - 16 years from age 21 and 5 years commissioned service for immediate pension

What's your problem exactly?
Probably the fact that after going SUY there has been a "slight tweak" to his pension that wasn't mentioned. Seems fair enough to a bit tickled by the fact I would suggest.

vauxhall

Lantern Swinger
As pointed out above, an officer is entitled to a full career pension 3 years before an other rank. Most people do not serve for a 'full career' but an officer's pension builds up slightly quicker than an other rank's - officers' preserved pensions are calculated at 3% of the full career rate for every year and part of year served (after age 21) and the other rank the rate is 2.75%.

TheCommunicator

Lantern Swinger
Pretty sure there's a caveat in the regs that says you can't have an immediate pension any earlier than you would have got it as a rating.

I don't think you necessarily transfer to an officer's pension if you leave in the first 5 years. They're supposed to calculate a WO pension from 18 and a officer one from 21and give you whichever is the highest. One you've been commissioned over 5 years it's an officer's one.

vauxhall

Lantern Swinger
If you leave having given less than 5 yrs commissioned service, you revert to a WO1's pension rate (with service counted from age 18) and that will be revisited at age 65. If the officer's rate from age 21 is better than the WO1's rate from age 18, the higher rate comes into payment.

If you are commissioned after 21 and serve more than 5 yrs, the pension rate is whatever the pension code says it is.

N'aint easy. If you are in this position and need a steer, join FPS and we will give you personal info.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil Pompey News: "Navy Ship Sets Off On Three-Year Operation" The Fleet 0
Naval_Gazer RN leads mine clearance operation off Iraq and Kuwait The Fleet 22
MoD_RSS Operation Stack activated on coast bound M20 between junctions 8 and 9 in Kent MoD News 0
MoD_RSS First Operation for RAF Poseidon tracking Russian Warship MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Report 03/2020: Class investigation into human performance in signalling operation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The FHI remains in operation - COVID-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS M20 Operation Brock barrier to be removed from next week MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Hampshire landowner fined for running a scrap metal operation on a protected Site of Special Scientific Interest MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Changes to the IMS hours of operation in December 2019 - January 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Operation to tackle FGM and forced marriage honoured at awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Pumping operation continues to reduce flood water levels in Fishlake MoD News 0
MoD_RSS South Africa: celebrating co-operation between BoE and SARB MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sunderland man charged over £12,000 for running illegal waste operation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Operation Brock to be deactivated MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Operation Brock is activated on the M20 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Operation Brock actived on M20 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Weekend work to activate Operation Brock MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 15 arrests in suspected people smugglers' case in joint Belgo-British operation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £40m heroin bound for Antwerp seized after international operation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Thousands of Border Force seizures in international operation against wildlife crime MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK and EU law enforcement boost co-operation on DNA databases MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK and EU law enforcement boost co-operation on DNA databases MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Illegal waste operation leads to prison term for man and £314,000 compensation for victim MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Operation Brock – work to remove M20 contraflow complete MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Operation Brock – work to remove M20 contraflow starts tonight MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Operation Brock: ready for action MoD News 0
T Medical Requirements - Large scar from operation Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS Press release: Storm Gareth - Operation Stack activated on coast bound M20 between junctions 8 and 9 in Kent MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Strengthening collaboration and operational co-operation with Western Balkans Customs Administrations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Operation Brock - overnight work to start on the M20 in Kent MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK and Poland to step up defence and security co-operation in cross-government talks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary praises troops about to embark on countering elephant and rhino poaching operation MoD News 1
MoD_RSS News story: UK and Norway defence ministers plan sub-hunting co-operation MoD News 0
M Declared medically unfit due to hernia operation 13 years ago!! Joining the Royal Navy 9
Rover Operation Frankton. The Corps 1
MoD_RSS News story: Britain and Cyprus Step Up Defence Co-Operation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Prime Minister's speech to the Gulf Co-operation Council 2016 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM to boost defence and security co-operation with Gulf allies MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Prime Minister’s visit to Bahrain and the Gulf Co-operation Council MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary strengthens security co-operation with Croatia MoD News 0
B Operation, 'Brassard' / 'Cut out'. Namely, The landing and liberation of ELBA 20 June 1944. History 0
MoD_RSS News story: Remembering the Battle of the Somme: Operation Reflect MoD News 0
B Operation Grapple Current Affairs 4
MoD_RSS News story: Operation Nightingale excavation shortlisted for prestigious archaeological award MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK military supports Maltese security operation for 2015 Commonwealth meeting MoD News 0
T Operation prior to starting RFA 2
L Operation Grapple tie The Quarterdeck 18
fishhead The Operation Blue Jokes 1
(granny) Operation 'Fortitude' 1944 History 12
MoD_RSS Speech: In defence of a rules based order: transatlantic security co-operation in a... MoD News 0