Operation Grapple tie

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by lazylandlubber, Jul 14, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,
    I hope someone can help me. My mother-in-law has recently been widowed and her late husband was on Christmas Island during the tests. He was given a tie, which he sadly lost but got a replacement which my mother-in-law says he had to prove he was eligible to wear before he could have it. She wants it to go to a good home, perhaps another person who has lost theirs?
    Would anyone here know of a serviceman who would want it? Or maybe suggest a suitable place to send it?
    Many thanks.

2. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Hi, I took part in 'Operation Grapple' when on the Cavalier in 1958. A while ago I did a search for the Grapple Tie with no success. I would very much appreciate the chance to wear your Fathers tie. If you could e mail me we could arrange something. Many thanks, in anticipation.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Granny, if you can get hold of the August 2015 copy of 'Warships international review' there is a 2 page spread about the 'Cavalier' that you might find interesting. Not sure if its the same Cavalier.

4. Didnt like the attitude of the ratings on the Cavalier..... I'll get my coat :(

5. Think yourself lucky you weren't on Gay Swordsman then.....:rolleyes:

6. (granny)

It's the Cavalier that served on. She was modernised and brought back into service in 1957. Now alongside in Chatham Historic Dockyard, looking great. The last 2nd WW destroyer still afloat.

7. (granny)

??? expand please.

8. A cavalier attitude :)

9. (granny)

God I'm so slow today.. :D

• Like Like x 1
  10. (granny)

We were a happy bunch on Cavalier on '57/'59 commission. We actually were known as the 'Gay' Cavaliers. After the Frans Hals portrait, of course. lol. This was long before the name was pinched and took on a new meaning.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

Good job you weren't in 'Beaver' then...

12. What's a Beaver attitude? :confused:Apart from vertical :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. (granny)

For an update.. With many thanks to 'lazylandlubber' and especially to her Mum I have received her late husbands Grapple Squadron tie. You cannot imagine how I felt as I opened the package and out came the tie, with the Grapple motif. I shall wear this tie with pride and in memory of all those men who have died as a result of being at Christmas Island and in later life suffered as a result.

• Like Like x 3
  14. (granny)

If I did it right there should be a photo of the tie above ?? lol
    looks like I got it wrong. I will persevere. :)

15. (granny)

16. (granny)

Help... it says give URL of image? Where do I get that?

17. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Easiest way that I have found is to click on upload a file then drag the pic in

18. (granny)

Wow, success. I used photobucket and uploaded from there. Simples LOL

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1