Operation Fresco again anyone?

cjg375

Lantern Swinger
The good old Fire Brigades Union are balloting for strike again, this time over pensions. Never mind though, it'll coincide nicely with all those pongos coming back from Afghanistan. Now where did we put those Toyota Hilux's for the BART teams.

http://www.fbu.org.uk/?p=6819

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

I drove a Green goddess for the 2nd (nearly, in '83) strike and my eldest boy manned a wagon during the third one so we have the start of a crew.

My next door neighbour is a recently retired senior fireman and he reckons it's a bluff. Based on that I reckon you can all stand down.

I also think all the Green Goddesses were flogged off after the last strike. If military cover is needed then I think it will have to be in 'proper' fire engines.

My next door neighbour is a recently retired senior fireman and he reckons it's a bluff. Based on that I reckon you can all stand down.

I also think all the Green Goddesses were flogged off after the last strike. If military cover is needed then I think it will have to be in 'proper' fire engines.
Green Goddesses have indeed gone, my lad was in a "proper" engine and wearing "proper" equipment, not the hard hats and donkey jackets of yore :)

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
From Wikipedia:

The role of Green Goddesses was superseded by new contingency arrangements. The Fire and Rescue Services Act 2004 gave the Government the power to instruct fire and rescue authorities to make their own vehicles available in the event of future industrial action. New incident response units introduced after the 11 September 2001 attacks offer high power pumping ability among a range of other contingency functions.
In March 2004, the Government announced that it was conducting a test sale of 40 of its remaining fleet of more than 900 vehicles, and that it was planning to dispose of the remainder. The sale of the fleet has been completed, and most of the vehicles have been sold on to fire brigades in developing countries, mostly in Africa.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Rather bizarrely, by a feat of marvelous management organisational prowess, I was sent to Aldershot during the last fire-strike, presumably because, as we all know, there are bugger-all pongos in Aldershot.

(Apart from in the barracks, pubs, etc.,)

One can only assume Percy will get sent to Pompey, Faslane & Guzz to redress the balance in the event Sam goes on strike again.

The government have pretty much said there won't be military involvement in fire strikes any more. LAs now have a legal requirement, which they never had before, to arrange their own cover. Hence all the councils recruiting civvie volunteers. The back up referred to is people that already do it within Defence Fire. You haven't heard of anyone getting pinged because no one is getting pinged. Short of a national emergency, which would see the FBU going back to work anyway, it is no longer the military's problem.

Latest Threads