Operation Fresco again anyone?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by cjg375, Jul 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The good old Fire Brigades Union are balloting for strike again, this time over pensions. Never mind though, it'll coincide nicely with all those pongos coming back from Afghanistan. Now where did we put those Toyota Hilux's for the BART teams.

http://www.fbu.org.uk/?p=6819

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

2. I've only just ditched my combat jacket that I was 'given' during the '77 one!

3. I drove a Green goddess for the 2nd (nearly, in '83) strike and my eldest boy manned a wagon during the third one so we have the start of a crew.

4. My next door neighbour is a recently retired senior fireman and he reckons it's a bluff. Based on that I reckon you can all stand down.

I also think all the Green Goddesses were flogged off after the last strike. If military cover is needed then I think it will have to be in 'proper' fire engines.

5. Green Goddesses have indeed gone, my lad was in a "proper" engine and wearing "proper" equipment, not the hard hats and donkey jackets of yore :)

6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

From Wikipedia:

7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Rather bizarrely, by a feat of marvelous management organisational prowess, I was sent to Aldershot during the last fire-strike, presumably because, as we all know, there are bugger-all pongos in Aldershot.

(Apart from in the barracks, pubs, etc.,)

One can only assume Percy will get sent to Pompey, Faslane & Guzz to redress the balance in the event Sam goes on strike again.

9. wal

wal Badgeman

I was stationed at Barton Stacy. The Army's cartographers school near Andover.on the 303. in the 77 strike.

10. I heard Ian Hayton, the Chief Officer at Cleveland Fire Brigade, talking about this on the Today programme this morning. I think that he said that volunteers were going to be doing the driving.

BBC Radio 4 - Today, 30/08/2013

He started speaking at around 07:50.

11. It would seem that someone called their bluff.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24235251

Good to see no military involvement yet but there is a reference to military being a backup. Not heard of anyone pinged for it though so might be Percy or the other lot.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

12. The government have pretty much said there won't be military involvement in fire strikes any more. LAs now have a legal requirement, which they never had before, to arrange their own cover. Hence all the councils recruiting civvie volunteers. The back up referred to is people that already do it within Defence Fire. You haven't heard of anyone getting pinged because no one is getting pinged. Short of a national emergency, which would see the FBU going back to work anyway, it is no longer the military's problem.

• Like Like x 1