Opening a bank account at Raleigh?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Fletchrfc, Oct 16, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just back from my PRNC and was told I need a current account and I only have a savings account,the problem being is that I start Raleigh on sunday so is their anyway to open one there?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Give the Bank that you have the savings account with a ring and ask if they will open a credit account for you, explain the reasons and tell them you have been recruited at short notice and they may help

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks just done that there,they said I was to try going into my glasgow branch and see if they can try get one open but failing that it wouldn't be ready till next week.

4. If they don't manage to do in time for Monday I'm sure if you tell the Raleigh staff that it is all in hand and you'll advise them as soon as it's done it should be OK. You won't be getting paid for a while yet so it shouldn't cause any long lasting problems.

• Like Like x 1
  5. And there isn't a bank at Raleigh anymore.

6. How would I go about getting the details of the account when im at raleigh?

7. Are you familiar with an old fashioned form of communication?
    It's called,,, oh it escapes me..... Ah Post!

A bloke (other genders are available) comes in a big red van and brings stuff

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Discuss it with the bank. Then devise a cunning plan. They could post it to you as Branch-Hopper suggests.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cheers guys, just been panicking.

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You will also have been given joining instructions about four weeks ago unless it was a cancellation/short notice entry date.

In the joining letter, if you read it, it states you need a current account.

Good luck with Raleigh.

11. My joining letter said no building society accounts, I've just checked about every branch and they are all fully booked, and my AFCO is closed, was told to phone the MoD switchboard but they don't know who to put me through to as they said there is only security at Raleigh during the weekends.

12. If you can and there is one open today , get into Natwest. Take ID and my son had his account open on the day. He had to wait a couple of days to get the debit card but account number and sort code were done there and then. Just as an aside, you need to listen and look a bit more or you're going to be missing things you shouldn't, lol. Good luck at Raleigh. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Cheers mate, Ill have a look the now.

14. Ninja_Stoker

Correct. What else does it say about requiring a bank account?

15. Ive got one at 2:30 today, cheers for the help everyone.

• Like Like x 1
  16. janner

Nina, why no Building Society's I with Nationwide and it provides all of the services that a Bank does?

17. Ninja_Stoker

I don't know to be honest. As long as it accepts BACS transfers & it has a debit card that is compatible with all main bank cash machines, I cannot see a problem.

Building societies used to be buggers with regard clearing payments in. Halifax used to take ten days to clear cheques, direct debits & cash deposits, but hopefully they aren't as much of a rip off nowadays.

18. janner

That's why I asked the question, salary, now pension paid in monthly, direct debits paid out, cheque clearance a lot quicker than it used to be, I have the normal debit cards on each account, direct access to loans on line, same with ISA. I don't see any difference and no longer use banks.

19. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, I honestly don't know, it's Raleigh's shout, they dictate the policy and joining letter content.

I was always rather disgusted that the 'financial advice' lectures were conducted by commercial bank employees that just happened to have application forms to open bank accounts in their branch.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Traditional Building Societies are wholly owned by the depositors and do not operate banking activities whereas some which were once Mutuals converted to be owned by shareholders and are quoted on the stock market. These all operate nowadays like a high street bank although they may retain their old name. I suppose Raleigh's insistence to steer clear of building societies is to make sure no recruits rock up with one of the old style accounts thinking they're OK to get their money.

• Like Like x 1