Open Challenge to CMR Staff

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by TF110, Mar 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. YES - they are all devious members of the gestapo

2. NO - this is an internet rumour designed to make people hate CMR

0 vote(s)
  1. We've had a lot of rumours here that CMR staff are identifying and warning posters here about possible disloyalty to the RNR. I am very angry that the RNR could even consider doing this, therefore, may I formally request that a member of the CMR staff (and we all know you lurk here) could post here (anonymously but as CMR1 perhaps) and formally confirm or deny this rumour?

It will do morale no good in the long term if we perceive that our command is spying on us, and it has the potential to be enormously damaging to the RNR if this rumour spread more widely - we all know journalists use this site, what if they turned this into a story about the RN spying on its staff?

Please can you deny this rumour to us as in my book your silence will be taken as confirmation of the truth.
  2. And if someone does post as CMR1 perhaps then is it actually believable, either way the conspiracy theorists will continue to say the same things.
  3. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

TF110...why the concern? change your user name and don't say anything that could identify yourself.

I do have suspicions about strange little people living in my keyboard though........... :shock:
  4. "TF110...why the concern? change your user name and don't say anything that could identify yourself."

Why the concern - because I don't like the idea that CMR is allegedly doing something that the Army, RAF and RN havent' done, and which I believe they are on legally thin ice to even consider carrying out.
    We're all allowed our own hobby horses :)
  5. Ride this one off into the sunset then, theres a good chap.
  6. Of course it could all just be some kind of weird reverse psychology dreamt up by the Info Ops sub-spec ;)
  7. Perhaps this is a question the Commons Defence Committee ought to ask the 1SL in a letter, and clear up the matter properly?
  8. Well I was considering an FOI or PQ to my MP as well - but thought this may be marginally less open.

I really don't want this to be true, but I do want it cleared up and cleared up fast. All it needs is for MC to post here and say "NO" - I'd then happily ask for the thread to be locked and never referred to again.
    BUT if it is true, how can we trust our leadership again if we know they're spying on us and our rights to free speech in our own time
  9. I can honestly say that to the best of my knowledge there is no SPYING at all on any individual, i do know that most of the CMR hierarchy read and on occasion contribute to RR.

RR is considered a valuable and welcome site .
    Methinks some paranoia is going on here.

To behonest they are very short staffed at HQ and dont have the time to flit around checking and logging websites.
    Rest easy chill out and had a drink , big brother is not watching you , he is too busy
  10. Fighting through the tumbleweed in West Battery ;)
  11. I cant believe that some people actually think that they won't monitor this forum. They probably chuckle at alot of the rumours that get banded about which are well of the mark and sometimes laughable. They probably also scratch their heads as to how some of the rumours that are right on the button have got out into the world!

What i would like to know is what can they actually do about it? What would these letters say? What would it look like if the press got hold of these letters (if they exist).

I can understand security etc but i think that we are scrutinised well enough by the moderators to prevent such a thing.
  12. Paranoia ! Its all around; sometimes up; sometimes down; but always around.

So what if they are monitoring, if it cuts the slothful, ineffective channels of communication from the rating to the Director, it sounds like a cracking idea to me in this age of free and open comms. TF110 has lost the plot if he thinks airing grievances on the most open media on the planet wont be watched, to some degree!!!!
  13. Thanks MC - perhaps RM can now lock?

All I wanted was confirmation that the rumour wasn't true - happy that is the case now.
  14. TF110 - I don't want to rain on your parade and I am not implying that MC is, in any way, being disingenuous with the truth but
    a) MC was very quick to come back with a 'NO' on behalf of CMR - did he ask them? or
    b) Has he just assumed that they are all 'stand up guys' who wouldn't stoop this low? or
    c) Is he the one who is actually in charge (despite the seniors who outrank him)?
  15. I would be happy to lock this. Such paranoia is the stuff of tinfoil hats, but I get the feeling this will run and run, tragically.
  16. It's only paranoia if it isn't based on substance - look at the 'facts'

1. Announcements at RTCs
    2. Allegations of 'reasons in writing' letters
    3. "Words to the wise" from seniors counselling against participation in RR threads

All it takes is an official statement that members of the RNR are not going to face disciplinary action for posting comments on RR (standfast OPSEC/PERSEC outputs) for this to go away.

Sorry MC your heroic leap into the breach plus humorous supporting text (amusing though it might be) doesn't fit the bill as far as 'official' is concerned, the Colonel opened the can of worms and the Colonel has to put them all back.
  17. the words mountain and molehill spring to mind......
  18. Anyone know the NSN for a tin-foil cap liner.....

19. 1. Announcements at RUs (at least at mine) were about being careful re opsec/persec/named attacks etc
    2. Allegations of reasons in writing are just allegations unless anyone can confirm that they've received one. (just thought this may not be possible - if you've received letter tellingyou to stop posting on RR, how can you confirm this without posting on RR - damn! :lol:
    3. "Words to the wise" were just that - be careful about what you write, these are open forums.

In his original post, TF101 asked for CMR staff to deny rumour, MC has DONE SO.
    What exactly did DCMR say that opened a further can of worms?

Conspiracy warning yellow. Relax anti flash & tinfoil hats. One all round.