Ooooops!

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Ageing_Gracefully, Sep 7, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

• Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 1
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Pretty shoddy drills taking 5 months to admit a hit & run. Had the skipper done the same in his Ferrari, he'd be in nick. :cool:

3. This boils my piss! Many moons ago I was part of a working party with (DERA?) and fishermen to place sonar devices on their nets so boats could 'see' them.

The fishermen refused to play.

Sorry, no proof or linkys as it was too long ago.

4. In the 70's & 80's it was not unknown for Scottish fishermen to deliberately put there nets down when they knew boats were in the area.

Snag a boat and the MoD stumped up for new nets..simples. Got caught up once on an S boat I was on and towed a trawler for a few miles, no-one was hurt apart from the MoD's bank account!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, I've heard similar tales of kamikazi trawlers deliberately snagging moored mines for compo, too.

Seems a bit of quantum leap from the risks arising from fake whiplash claims.

• Like Like x 2
  6. AG when I saw Navy and fishnets I thought it was a thread about something completely different, must have a potty mind. Back to the old fishermen catching metal whales?

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Would have to question that one Wrecker.I worked in the fishing industry in the 80s and no skipper I knew would deliberately try to come fast on a boat.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Does this also mean a trawlerman wouldn't deliberately haul-up 660lbs of volatile hexanite in the off chance it doesn't go pop and they can get a new set of nets? ;)

9. There was a lot of stuff dumped in the NW approaches Ninja. If trawlers are working in the area its inevitable that some of its going to be trawled up. I know there was a lot of ordinance, phosphorus etc dumped in the Beaufort dyke (not a lesbian) and it sometimes came ashore in South West Scotland and the NI coast. My only experience of anything like it was SW of Barra. we trawled up a WW2 torpedo. It wasn't intentional and we collectivity shat ourselves.;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. I've seen fishermen trawl straight through a live mine danger area, whilst we had a seafox in the water.

11. Ninja_Stoker

Presumably they would've known it was a live mine danger area and that there was a Seafox on the prowl? If so, then I guess there genuinely are kamikazi trawlers.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. We weren't the first boat to get caught, the silly game seemed to finish after the Antares incident and both fishermen and the RN changed their operating methods.

These days perisher candidates spend time with the trawlers to get an insight.

We had the trawl wire mark embedded in the fin, it was still there 2 years later when we went into refit and I'm not, for one moment, suggesting this was what caused the Antares incident.

13. None of it is deliberate on any side. Where you have trawling and Submarine ops in confined waters there are going to be accidents. Just have to minimise them where possible. The Sub Fax broadcasts help, but if you have a Boat stalking a ruski you cant be expected to broadcast its position.

14. Yup - us having 3 black balls raised, broadcasting warning on VHF Ch 16 and DSC, and calling them direct resulted in a transmission full of abuse and he carried on steaming through.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Have You ever read 'Outsweeps' ATG? Interesting book on the crossover of trawlers and minesweepers. ;)

16. Ninja_Stoker

During my time on Hurworth (early 90's), when it was Rosyth-based, the local trawlers seemed more adept at sweeping mines than we were :)

17. There were so many fields laid in both wars, there still must be a good few out there. They couldn't have cleared them all.

• Like Like x 1