Online Security clearance question

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Pork_viking, Apr 24, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Morning all,
    I'm just filling in a few last bits for my Online security clearance and have been dithering about over the criminal convictions section, basically when I was 17 I got a final caution for fighting outside a pub, the coppers told me that it would be taken off my record after 5 years, do I have to declare this on my clearance form? (will it show up if they check?) and will it affect the outcome?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Be honest.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yes, Yes, and Yes.

4. The way to think about it is, if you don't declare something and they do happen to find out then what else might you be hiding about your past?

5. Exactly. I have a spent conviction from well over 25 years ago and I still include it. Have never had it queried further nor had clearance declined as a result. It is simply information at this stage now, but it demonstrates full honesty and to my mind that seems to be appreciated although no one has ever said that out loud.

6. Cheers for the replies, I was pretty sure that would be the answer, I just didn't want to trip myself up over something that I might not have had to mention

7. If you don't declare a conviction and it is discovered it won't bode well and may cause them to dig deeper.

The secret is honesty.

• Like Like x 1