Online accounts and password security

Discussion in 'Bloody Computers' started by Guns, May 26, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Some guidence to help you stay safe on the internet.

So what to do if you think your account has been compromised?
    • Go to each website you have an account with and want to protect (I recommend all email and online storage plus any account that holds real and valuable data on you such as purcahsing data or name and address) and change your password, then log out of the website.
    • Delete you browser caches, cookies and history on all devices once you have logged out of all the accounts you care about.
    • Get a good password manager - recommend LastPass
    • Change all passwords to unique long and complex with the password manager (I have no idea what my passwords are).
    • If you can't change the password or access your accounts you will need to go through password re-sets and such like. You may need help if this is the case - ask on the forums there are plenty of experts in the field on this site.
    Good Cyber Secuirty
    NEVER USE THE SAME LOG IN AND PASSWORD ACROSS ACCOUNTS

• Get a password manager and have long, complex passwords and unique logins if you can.
    • Use two factor authentification for all accounts that allow it.
    • Consider creatating several email accounts across GMail, Outlook etc and use them as the log in for the sites you care the most about. Should you get hacked, you limit the damage.
    • Consider having a recovery email account with long, complex password and two factor (Outlook or Gmail works well). You use this for account recovery only.
    NEVER USE THE SAME LOG IN AND PASSWORD ACROSS ACCOUNTS