Online accounts and password security

Guns

War Hero
Some guidence to help you stay safe on the internet.

So what to do if you think your account has been compromised?
  • Go to each website you have an account with and want to protect (I recommend all email and online storage plus any account that holds real and valuable data on you such as purcahsing data or name and address) and change your password, then log out of the website.
  • Delete you browser caches, cookies and history on all devices once you have logged out of all the accounts you care about.
  • Get a good password manager - recommend LastPass
  • Change all passwords to unique long and complex with the password manager (I have no idea what my passwords are).
  • If you can't change the password or access your accounts you will need to go through password re-sets and such like. You may need help if this is the case - ask on the forums there are plenty of experts in the field on this site.
Good Cyber Secuirty
NEVER USE THE SAME LOG IN AND PASSWORD ACROSS ACCOUNTS

• Get a password manager and have long, complex passwords and unique logins if you can.
  • Use two factor authentification for all accounts that allow it.
  • Consider creatating several email accounts across GMail, Outlook etc and use them as the log in for the sites you care the most about. Should you get hacked, you limit the damage.
  • Consider having a recovery email account with long, complex password and two factor (Outlook or Gmail works well). You use this for account recovery only.
  • I run an email account through 1and1 which is my own domain name. For example I own the domain "phrase/name.com". From that I can have any front name to the @ - ie [email protected] and recieve the emails forwarded to an email acount I access all the time. I have a unique log in for every account. For double protection add numbers to the front word - it is all saved to my password manager so I don't care. I'm a geek so what can you do.
NEVER USE THE SAME LOG IN AND PASSWORD ACROSS ACCOUNTS

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS New report reveals UK as world leader in online safety innovation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMA investigates misleading online reviews MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Windrush online engagement events MoD News 0
MoD_RSS First construction site to come safely back online MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Countering online child sexual exploitation and abuse during the coronoavirus (COVID-19) pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Pension Credit claimants now able to apply online MoD News 0
MoD_RSS GAD’s online advice about the insurance industry MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New free online learning platform to boost workplace skills MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Digital minister urges parents to follow new guidance to keep children safe online during lockdown MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DVLA warns customers to stay safe online MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New major package to support online learning MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Access to online counter terrorism training made easier for home users MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Birmingham pair given suspended prison sentences for selling medicines online illegally MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Essential maintenance to CICA online services MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government cracks down on spread of false coronavirus information online MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Claimants are asked to apply online as jobcentres limit access MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Online isolation notes launched - providing proof of coronavirus absence from work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Mobile networks remove data charges for online NHS coronavirus advice MoD News 0
BFRS123 National Employment Online Careers Fair - April 2020 The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 2
MoD_RSS Civil news: providers praise new online ‘Apply’ tool MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Academy SW seminar: Working to prevent international online child sexual offending MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Five Countries and tech firms agree groundbreaking principles to keep children safe online MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DBS launches new payment option for online basic DBS checks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government minded to appoint Ofcom as online harms regulator MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New online vehicle checker to help drivers prepare for clean air zones with charges MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Record breaking 10.4 million customers filed online MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Court of Appeal upholds CMA decision on online sales MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New AI technique to block online child grooming launched MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Addition of card and online payment for Bangladesh visa customers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Guatemala participates in Global Summit against online sexual exploitation of children MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Honduras participates in Global Summit against online sexual exploitation of children MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More than 100,00 civil money claims issued online MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Update on 'Do’s and Don’ts' of completing an application to incorporate a CIC to include 'Online' applications MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK experts help stop spread of terrorist videos online MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The VMD will launch an updated online special import application form on 7 October 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Communities Secretary commits funding to tackle online hate MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Listen to the Regulators Podcast on CICs new Online Account Filing process!! MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Accessing sexual health testing online MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Essential maintenance to our online services MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CDEI concludes a programme of public engagement workshops on the ethics of online targeting MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New plans to make it safer for people to confirm their identity online MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: £18.5 million to boost diversity in AI tech roles and innovation in online training for adults MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Single justice procedure cases to be listed online MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Funding granted for new global platform to protect children from online abuse MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM joins 'Christchurch Call to Action' on online terror MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Apple and Google Pay for online basic checks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Government starts to accept Apple Pay and Google Pay for online services MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Even more people set to benefit from online court reform MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Essential maintenance to our online services MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Our digital services help you to file online and on time MoD News 0