Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ever since I was young I have wanted to be a member of the Royal Navy. Specifically the Royal Marines. With this goal in mind I have always stayed fit from a very young age. I am incredibly passionate about joining up and honestly don't see my life going any other way. Though I have a couple of walls, one of which is being beaten down though the other I am not too sure.

Firstly, I was diagnosed with Asthma when I was young and was treated until about 8. Ever since I have barely used it and am now 3 years clean. Considering the fact that I am only 16 I have plenty of time to let it clear up. Will probably wait a couple more years just to be sure. So Asthma is all goooooood.

OK so secondly, now this one requires some more detail. Since I am 16 and my mum isn't minted I have now had a job in a fast food restaurant (KFC) for little over 7 months. During my first few months all was good, just long hours and shitty pay (£4 an hour) However as of about 2-3 months ago I started to develop a slight rash on my hands. It never effected my work and I would just apply cocoa butter formula stuff to it so it would never really be very prominent. Though as of late I have working full time and thus have been exposed to the chemicals, oil and cleaning agents inside the shithole that is my work more and that rash has only gotten worse. Probably because I couldn't be bothered applying cocoa butter to it all the time. Anyway, I went to my GP yesterday and she said it was definitely the chemicals in my work that was doing it, so she gave me a massive tub of ointment and a bottle of Mometasone Furoate. At first I thought it was just a temporary thing but looking into the Mometasone Furoate I realised that it was used for skin conditions like Psoriasis and Dermatitis. This made me come to the conclusion that I have Contact Dermatitis, reacting to the cleaning agents in work. I should point out that my GP didn't tell me I had this, she simply prescribed me the cream and ointment, does this mean she has diagnosed me? I will hopefully get an appointment on Monday and get her to tell me if she has put anything on my medical record.

I must point out a few things-
-My working environment is riddled with chemicals, oil and such. Yet I only get a few rashes on my hands? Is this severe enough to make me not eligible for any branch?
-I am exposed to these chemicals for 8 - 11 hours a shift, yet it took months for me to notice any rash. Is this is a sign that my skin doesn't react strongly to the chemical or is this normal for it to take that long?

Any help would be appreciated. I understand why medical standards are there but I just want to ask some of you guys. I will go to my careers office at some point this month to ask them, but I am incredibly worried.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The frustration is appreciated.

In short - You need to be clear of prescription medication.

Bear in mind also, the armed forces use synthetic oils & a range of potentially inflammatory chemicals on weapons systems & transport (including ships and aircraft). If the condition is visible at the medical examination it is likely to be a bar to entry at that point.

Some people find they can manage better with 'over the counter' medication, moisturisers & UV light (sunbeds).

Is it 3 years clear I need to be?

Also, if I went to my AFCO would they help me or would they just reject me straight up and give me no chance to get in. I am scared to go and get advice in-case they just tell me to **** off, not literally obviously. If they will help then I will go to my AFCO next week.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
You need to be "prescription free" as indicated in the upload, below. Para 3.10.4 refers.

AFCO staff (of which I'm one) are not qualified to give qualified definitive medical advice. You can apply, if you wish, and will be processed until you hit the buffers at the medical stage, but ultimately it's the medical examiner's call.

Forewarned is fore-armed.

Attachments

• JSP_950_6-7-4_Annex_I_Skin Conditions.pdf
    19.3 KB · Views: 17
So because of the fact that I was prescribed some cream I will have no chance of getting in?

I should have just went with some cream over counter and not went to my GP. There goes my future. I don't want a civilian life.

Thank you for your time, appreciate it.

exJenny

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Which kfc do you work in??? Sod going for the discount if it includes flaky skin...

Hahahah I work in the KFC in Renfield Street, Glasgow. My skin doesn't actually peel. It is just a little rough and dry, It doesn't seem to come off atall. I would avoid the 3 step gravy over anything mate, that stuff is rancid.

exJenny

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Hand coated... Crispy skin... Mmmmm

To be honest I'm amazed you have rough, dry skin considering the amount grease that comes with most orders.

Stew1994h

Had a simlar problem. Did you declare it on phone when the nurse contacted you. I’d just really like to know as I’m in the process of joining.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
As the last post from the OPwas over 14 months ago, you might want to pop into the KFC on Renfield St in Glasgow....

Just helping out like!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
finknottle Another glorious tradition gone to the wall Current Affairs 28
MoD_RSS £450,000 repair work for Hereford flood wall damaged in winter floods MoD News 0
T Medical Appeal; Hit a Brick Wall Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS Data collection on external wall systems: letter to housing associations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Data collection on external wall systems: letter to local authorities MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Data collection on external wall systems: technical note MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Grayling announces new Dawlish sea wall as part of £2 billion investment in south-west MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Portreath sea wall repair work starts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: We need to knock down the wall of silence around Syrian women: by Lord Ahmad MoD News 0
SONAR-BENDER Hole in The Wall Diamond Lil's 8
S Ride to the Wall Motoring 1
soleil Wall Street Journal: "British Destroyer 'Keeps Watch' On Russian Carrier" The Fleet 40
tommo The Wall Run Health & Fitness 39
sgtpepperband Where's Wall.e? The Internet - Best and Worst 4
soleil Navy News: "Daring's 'Wall Of Steel' To Shred Targets By Air And Sea" The Fleet 1
soleil N.News: "The 'Wall Of England Sails On Her Final Deployment" The Fleet 1
Scouse_Castaway Royal Mint Remembrance Wall History 0
RachelC The Re-dedication of the Basra Memorial Wall: Video Footage Current Affairs 1
soleil BBC: Service today to re-dedicate Basra Memorial Wall Current Affairs 0
S The Wall Current Affairs 4
L Operation HERRICK challenge coin and wall shields Charity 0
S Corps Memorial Wall CTCRM The Corps 5
soleil "Royal Marines to unveil memorial wall at Lympstone" The Corps 1
Scouse_Scribes SCC Team to walk Hadrians Wall in aid of H4H SCC and URNU 0
soleil "Barbarian stomp": RN Centurions march along Hadrian's Wall Charity 6
K daily rant/scream/punch of the wall- knock yourselves out Current Affairs 12
T Walking Hadrian's Wall Travel & The Great Outdoors 4
fishmiester Charles' Hole in t' wall - Gibralter Diamond Lil's 2
E Yet another medal? The Gash Barge 24
MoD_RSS The world cannot afford another conflict in the Gulf region MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM: ‘Climate action cannot be another victim of coronavirus’ MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Gas goes green as UK takes another step toward net zero MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Government matches another £5 million of donations for coronavirus appeal after huge public response MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Every pupil in England to see another rise in funding in 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sentence increased for Northampton man who killed another man in pub attack MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Another leap forward in returning salmon to Yorkshire Dales MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Manchester woman who glassed another woman has sentence increased MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Another 900 British travellers in New Zealand set to return to the UK MoD News 0
J Transferring from one role to another The Fleet Air Arm 5
K Another 17 year old wanting to join the Navy Joining the Royal Navy 20
MoD_RSS A connected UK: government extends Dundee to London flight route for another year MoD News 0
R Do you have to do another Pass or Fail interview at the PRNC? Joining the Royal Navy 4
MoD_RSS Another success for the government’s voter ID pilots: 22 July 2019 MoD News 0
Waspie Another underwater tragedy! Submariners 1
J Yet another Commonwealth Applicant Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
TuckerKlein Not another RMR post... RMR 2
vauxhall Another Success for Commission Officer Supplements Finance & Pensions 0
vauxhall Another unclaimed pension is paid Finance & Pensions 0
vauxhall Another happy 70 year old Finance & Pensions 0
vauxhall Another happy veteran Finance & Pensions 3