One Wall After Another

Discussion in 'Joining the Royal Navy' started by United60714, Aug 4, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ever since I was young I have wanted to be a member of the Royal Navy. Specifically the Royal Marines. With this goal in mind I have always stayed fit from a very young age. I am incredibly passionate about joining up and honestly don't see my life going any other way. Though I have a couple of walls, one of which is being beaten down though the other I am not too sure.

Firstly, I was diagnosed with Asthma when I was young and was treated until about 8. Ever since I have barely used it and am now 3 years clean. Considering the fact that I am only 16 I have plenty of time to let it clear up. Will probably wait a couple more years just to be sure. So Asthma is all goooooood.

OK so secondly, now this one requires some more detail. Since I am 16 and my mum isn't minted I have now had a job in a fast food restaurant (KFC) for little over 7 months. During my first few months all was good, just long hours and shitty pay (£4 an hour) However as of about 2-3 months ago I started to develop a slight rash on my hands. It never effected my work and I would just apply cocoa butter formula stuff to it so it would never really be very prominent. Though as of late I have working full time and thus have been exposed to the chemicals, oil and cleaning agents inside the shithole that is my work more and that rash has only gotten worse. Probably because I couldn't be bothered applying cocoa butter to it all the time. Anyway, I went to my GP yesterday and she said it was definitely the chemicals in my work that was doing it, so she gave me a massive tub of ointment and a bottle of Mometasone Furoate. At first I thought it was just a temporary thing but looking into the Mometasone Furoate I realised that it was used for skin conditions like Psoriasis and Dermatitis. This made me come to the conclusion that I have Contact Dermatitis, reacting to the cleaning agents in work. I should point out that my GP didn't tell me I had this, she simply prescribed me the cream and ointment, does this mean she has diagnosed me? I will hopefully get an appointment on Monday and get her to tell me if she has put anything on my medical record.

I must point out a few things-
    -My working environment is riddled with chemicals, oil and such. Yet I only get a few rashes on my hands? Is this severe enough to make me not eligible for any branch?
    -I am exposed to these chemicals for 8 - 11 hours a shift, yet it took months for me to notice any rash. Is this is a sign that my skin doesn't react strongly to the chemical or is this normal for it to take that long?

Any help would be appreciated. I understand why medical standards are there but I just want to ask some of you guys. I will go to my careers office at some point this month to ask them, but I am incredibly worried.
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The frustration is appreciated.

In short - You need to be clear of prescription medication.

Bear in mind also, the armed forces use synthetic oils & a range of potentially inflammatory chemicals on weapons systems & transport (including ships and aircraft). If the condition is visible at the medical examination it is likely to be a bar to entry at that point.

Some people find they can manage better with 'over the counter' medication, moisturisers & UV light (sunbeds).
  3. Is it 3 years clear I need to be?

Also, if I went to my AFCO would they help me or would they just reject me straight up and give me no chance to get in. I am scared to go and get advice in-case they just tell me to **** off, not literally obviously. If they will help then I will go to my AFCO next week.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

You need to be "prescription free" as indicated in the upload, below. Para 3.10.4 refers.

AFCO staff (of which I'm one) are not qualified to give qualified definitive medical advice. You can apply, if you wish, and will be processed until you hit the buffers at the medical stage, but ultimately it's the medical examiner's call.

Forewarned is fore-armed.

Attached Files:

5. So because of the fact that I was prescribed some cream I will have no chance of getting in?

I should have just went with some cream over counter and not went to my GP. There goes my future. I don't want a civilian life.

Thank you for your time, appreciate it.
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Not at all.

Re-read the advice offered & speak to your AFCO.

Good luck
  7. Will do, I will go to my AFCO when the rash clears up. Only takes a few nights.

Thank you
  8. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Which kfc do you work in??? Sod going for the discount if it includes flaky skin...
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. ... Those chilli flakes you get on the 'Wicked Zinger'... Oh dear.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Hahahah I work in the KFC in Renfield Street, Glasgow. My skin doesn't actually peel. It is just a little rough and dry, It doesn't seem to come off atall. I would avoid the 3 step gravy over anything mate, that stuff is rancid.
  11. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hand coated... Crispy skin... Mmmmm

To be honest I'm amazed you have rough, dry skin considering the amount grease that comes with most orders.
  12. I really don't see KFC as being that greasy. I think mcdonalds is alot more greasy tbh.