One of the greatest defeat in the history of the Royal Navy

Discussion in 'History' started by Burghley, Oct 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. One of the greatest defeat in the history of the Royal Navy against Spain was the battle of Cartagena de Indias in 1741.
    According to the spanish sources the british lost 50 ships and 18.000 men in the assault to Cartagena. There is a lot of information in the spanish sources about the attack but it is difficult to find any in the english language. According to the spanish sources it was a humilliation for Britain so they decided to hide the magnitude of this defeat.
    I would like you have some information about the ships and number of men lost because if this is was one of the largest defeat of the british in the XVIII century and in all the history of the Royal Navy and I suppose that there must be some information in the british sources.

2. Why have you created a second thread about the same subject?

3. Re: One of the greatest defeat in the history of the Royal N

Because I posted it in the wrong forum

4. Again...

To the Bargeee!!!!

5. No trigger, usually Im fully in agreement with ya lol, but this time I think it should be kept as its in the right section now. Quite simply, if a RRer doesnt find it interesting......dont read it further. If it doesnt attract interest then it'l vanish soon enuff anyhow.

As an aside, the War of Jenkins Ear was a case of a situation being fabricated out of little to suit British interests. Alas it largely went badly and eventually a way out was sought. Sounds familiar some might say

6. Re: One of the greatest defeat in the history of the Royal N

you might want to look at the life of edward vernon as it was under his flag that the campaign was fought and lost due to 7p's and disease. the estimate is about 18000 deaths on the british/american side.

7. Re: One of the greatest defeat in the history of the Royal N

Mod Edit:

Unrelated and disrespectful.

8. Re: One of the greatest defeat in the history of the Royal N

Mod Edit:

As a consequence of the previous.

9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

WM: Wikipedia? "Proper research"?! :shock: :wink:

10. Try the book the fighting temiera

edit not good at speeling