One hundred top brass get marching orders in new defence cuts to save £4million a yea

Subsunk

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
I think the Brit mindset is increasingly unsuited to stewarding anyway. I started out in P&O cruise liners. Stewards were often recruited from Goa and were outstanding, getting a lot of respect as a result. RN stewards, stand fast a few notable exceptions (who were excellent, dedicated submariners in their own right), came across as surly, carrying a massive chip on the shoulder and in general more likely to detract from Wardroom life than add to it. This kind of experience, in my mind, suggests that they are rendering themselves obsolete.

Of course, the P&O guys went home with a big pay packet, and as they ran the food and beverage accounts, they had many opportunities to make money. As long as passengers and crew were happy, the company turned a blind eye to a lot of the fine detail. Their RN equivalents do not have this outlet, and it's easier to be into a job when you're well rewarded for it. Stewarding is like a lot of other work these days in that many Brits view it as beneath them - hence the Commonwealth ratings entering the General Service Steward branch.

scouse

War Hero
Subsunk.....we had a massive catering scandal in the RN in 73 / 74. Officers involved . Loads of CPO and PO s were diss rated , and quiet a few went to jail.! As for myself, I never ate so well at Lossiemouth :grin:

Last edited:

slim

War Hero
Subsunk.....we had a massive catering scandal in the RN in 73 / 74. Officers involved . Loads of CPO and PO s were diss rated , and quiet a few went to jail.! As for myself, I never ate so well at Lossiemouth :grin:

I'm with Scouse on this one, after the scandal the Victualing branch was sent to the grocers in the sky and anew catering branch was formed.
While the scam was in operation food at Lossiemouth was fantastic, once constraints were in place the food quality fell