One for the WOOs

Better to over maintain than to under maintain them.
You say that, as a Pinky on Harriers I had a Flex Op to test the Standby Radio (every 6 months? cant remember now), this was also done every time the pilot got it, therefore a pretty pointless task.

I believe Harriers ran on 1 hr flying to 8 hrs maintenance.

The realist in me types!!
As our friends in Lt Blue are involved. I dare say, a month or too discussing who will actually carry out any repair work. Another month to assemble a team. By then, it'll be main leave. After leave, a week briefing on the tasks to be carried out. Work starts about 3-4 months after recovery. By then, corrosion will have taken a good hold and the airframe will be condemned as a training airframe and sent to Sultan for new AET's to throw spanners at in Pt2!!
You wont see much corrosion on a Crab aircraft day to day as they are that ffing dirty that the corrosion is hidden. I had a shock going up inside the back end of a GR9 and not being able to read the CB's due to the layers of muck over them. Not called crabs for nothing :(

They don't have the cleaning mentality of the RN and the paperwork isn't much better!!!!

Last edited:

slim

War Hero
You say that, as a Pinky on Harriers I had a Flex Op to test the Standby Radio (every 6 months? cant remember now), this was also done every time the pilot got it, therefore a pretty pointless task.

I believe Harriers ran on 1 hr flying to 8 hrs maintenance.
I remember the pinkie Daily Inspection on Buccaneers.
Set UHF manual frequency to 243.00 Mhz.
Piece of p!ss.

I remember the pinkie Daily Inspection on Buccaneers.
Set UHF manual frequency to 243.00 Mhz.
Piece of p!ss.
BF on Harriers was to watch the Grubbers and Greenies leave the crewroom :)

Why set the manual frequency to guard? I assume because there were pre-sets too?

Harrier engine change for Pinkies was pretty easy too, watch the grubbers and greenies for two days and then go in and test the wing tip to cockpit comms link (5 minutes on the job card).

Then they made me an Av and I had to get stuck in :(

Last edited:

redmonkey

War Hero
Book Reviewer
The crabs at Benson were paperwork nazis. If you signed for a job at 1700 and claimed half an hour for it you couldn't sign for any other job which included that half hour. Does that make sense?
Basically you could only be doing one job in one space of time.

Stirlin

War Hero
Slightly off topic , working at UofY as heating fitter the number of times you went to a heating fault in students study bedrooms and it was usually they had draped a towel over the TRV , move the towel off said TRV , we used to kid the students by going ''Abracadabra '' waving our hands over the rad while moving the towel a couple of inches , had them stumped till we fessed up.
Minumum time allowed to be put on job ticket was one hour and it took all of two seconds.
A fistfull of those tickets a day I could have gone home at 0830.

Chris P

War Hero
Slightly off topic , working at UofY as heating fitter the number of times you went to a heating fault in students study bedrooms and it was usually they had draped a towel over the TRV , move the towel off said TRV , we used to kid the students by going ''Abracadabra '' waving our hands over the rad while moving the towel a couple of inches , had them stumped till we fessed up.
Minumum time allowed to be put on job ticket was one hour and it took all of two seconds.
A fistfull of those tickets a day I could have gone home at 0830.
That backs up the theory that it doesn't matter how much brain you've got if you have no CDF then you're pretty much useless;)..