One for the girls - smear test results

DeltaF

I was declared permanently medically unfit during selection due to my smear test results. I had been monitored at the colposcopy clinic for 18 months, and discharged back to the standard 3 year smear test cycle shortly before my medical. Given that smear test results change over time (mine improved), I'm not sure why the decision was a permanently unfit rather than a deferral. Has anyone been in a similar situation and been able to find out why their decision was permanently unfit (or a deferral if this is what they were given)?

I am planning to appeal, and the colposcopy nurses and consultant are willing to write a letter for me stating that I am fine for service, but I'm not sure what it needs to include. Has anyone successfully appealed from a similar decision and can give me some advice?

PM is fine if that's better. Thanks lots for any help.

Last edited:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Just to add, I'm afraid this is an increasingly common issue and different health areas screen at different intervals which can sometimes mean the individual cannot be passed fit until they have a second normal result. Very frustrating, I appreciate.

Not sure if @nemesis1066 maybe able to further enlighten, but either way, best of luck.

DeltaF

Hi angrydoc, I may not have chosen my words carefully enough in my original post, so apologies. The consultants and nurses can provide details of my medical history, likely progression, timing and nature of future treatment, etc. The decision on whether in view of this information I am medically fit will of course be one for the RN.

DeltaF

For anyone who might look at this thread in future, it is worth appealing. I appealed and was successful, so I am now medically fit and can proceed with my application.

Edit: I should add that I provided new information with my appeal such as a letter from a consultant and results from a more recent test.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS UN Human Rights Council 43: UK statement for Item 3 General Debate on Girls' Education MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM appoints new Special Envoy for Girls’ Education ahead of International Women’s Day MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Africa Minister champions UK leadership to help educate girls and end preventable deaths MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Beis Trana Girls’ School: warning notice MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Embassy improves equality for girls and women in Sololá MoD News 0
I press ups for girls Joining the Royal Navy 3
MoD_RSS High-flying young women and girls celebrated at Downing Street reception MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UN Human Rights Council 41: explaination of vote on violence against girls MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New UK aid funding to tackle violence against women and girls in Syria MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Dstl backs local STEM challenge for girls MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Government sets out key measures to tackle violence against women and girls MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Minister calls to dispel girls’ misconceptions of STEM subjects MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Girls’ education should be a development priority for the Commonwealth MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: DFID Country Director's speech at the 2nd African Girls Summit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Dstl supports new science challenge for girls in Salisbury MoD News 0
Joint_Force_Harrier Girls On The Edge - BBC 2 21:00 (22/2/18) Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Girls’ education to be central pillar of UK foreign, development and defence... MoD News 0
Joint_Force_Harrier BBC - Three Girls Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 20
A HMS Raleigh - Girls Joining the Royal Navy 3
J Press ups (girls) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
G 2 girls 1 cup and how to make your missus cry Blue Jokes 0
S The Poppy Girls Miscellaneous 2
soleil Telegraph: "Five Service Schoolgirls Form Poppy Girls Appeal" Charity 1
scouse All the nice girls love a sailor Diamond Lil's 0
Sharkey All the nice girls Diamond Lil's 19
W hello guys and girls Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
janner How us older men pick up girls Miscellaneous 4
R 3 girls Blue Jokes 1
Drakey Guzz girls are best Diamond Lil's 50
wet_blobby Up for a game of rugby girls? Diamond Lil's 0
bikerman Fat bottomed girls Current Affairs 15
S catholic girls Blue Jokes 1
F For anyone who likes music or girls look at this Diamond Lil's 15
BillyNoMates US Army girls Diamond Lil's 1
RachelC The RBL & Scouting for Girls at the Doncaster Race Day! Charity 1
2_deck_dash Pretty girls can talk you into anything. Diamond Lil's 61
S RBL Charity Calendar - pretty girls & tanks! Charity 1
J My tanning shop offering deal for service wives and girls Hobbies & The Great Indoors 14
soleil Navy News: "Gannet gets ready to party with the girls" The Fleet Air Arm 0
BillyNoMates Girls in Uniform Diamond Lil's 22
wet_blobby Stand Easy Girls..... Diamond Lil's 24
BillyNoMates The Garrison Girls Calendar 2009 Diamond Lil's 83
5dits bikini clad Russian girls welcome Warship back from Georgia Diamond Lil's 13
T Psychopaths pull the most girls..... For the BOYS only... Diamond Lil's 8
T Psychopaths pull the most girls..... For the GIRLS only Diamond Lil's 1
NotmeChief Girls aloud on X Factor - well one of them anyway. The Quarterdeck 4
SILVER_FOX Why are girls fighting like boys? Current Affairs 27
Y 13 year old girls being taken out of school Current Affairs 8
NotmeChief One for the Girls. Diamond Lil's 2
NotmeChief Definately NOT for the girls. Diamond Lil's 2