One for RM Historians

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Geordie88, Aug 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. During the allied intervention in the Russian Civil War on behalf of the Russian White movement, it's believed that 6 light infantry mutinied and subsequently broke up.

Anyone able to shed any light on this peculiar event, or had the vodka just run out?

2. http://www.geocities.com/cordobakaf/mutinies.html

Something in here

3. 6th RMLI did refuse dity in Russia in 1919, probably because WW I was over, and they just didn't want to fight anymore. There are files in the ational Archive, will dig outthe references if you want ?

4. aye that'd be a help. I'm just doing this because it aroused my curiousity mind.

I find it strange that any branch of the RM 'didn't want to fight anymore', although if they were conscripts I can understand why they'd be less willing to dive into the freezing mud of Murmansk rather than volunteers. But I'd always assume the whole reason for the Marines was to get good and clarty while giving someone or other a good beating.

5. The British 6th Battalion Royal Marines Light Infantry (RMLI) was scratched together from a company of the Royal Marine Artillery and companies from each of the three naval port depots. Very few of their officers had seen any land fighting. Their original purpose had been only to deploy to Flensburg to supervise a vote to decide whether Schleswig-Holstein should be German or Danish. Many of the Marines were under 19 years old; it would have been unusual to employ them overseas. Others were ex-prisoners of war who had only recently returned from Germany and had had no leave.

There was thus outrage when on short notice the 6th Battalion was shipped instead to Murmansk, Russia, on the Arctic Ocean, to assist in the withdrawal of British forces. Still not expecting to do any fighting, the battalion was ordered forward under army command to hold certain outposts.
    On August 28, 1919 the British 6th RMLI Battalion was ordered to seize the village of Koikori (Койкари) from the Bolsheviks. The attack on the village was disorganized and resulted in three men killed and 18 wounded, including the battalion commander who had ineffectually led the attack himself. Equipped with machine guns and artillery, the Bolsheviks were very far from being the disorganised "Bolos" (as they were often called at the time - a slang term developed in the Philippine-American War) that had been expected.

A week later, the company was led into the attack by a Russian guide who betrayed them and left them in a vulnerable position before disappearing. The British were again repulsed; the battalion staff officer was killed and both the company officers disabled.

The next morning, faced with the prospect of another attack on the village, one company refused to obey orders, and withdrew themselves to a nearby friendly village. Ninety-three men from the battalion were court martialed; 13 were sentenced to death and others received substantial sentences of hard labor. In December 1919, the Government, under pressure from several MPs, revoked the sentence of death and considerably reduced the sentence of all the men.

6. Found 2 references (there are probably more), ADM 156/93 and 179

7. ANZAC at Gallipoli believed RMLI stood for Run My Lads Imshi (Fast), due to RMLIs 'failure' to take/ turn to for an attack. This myth was exploded by Christopher Pugsley (Lt Col, NZ Army (Rtd)) in several of his very good books on the Gallipoli campaign and ANZAC in WWI.
    Still makes me laugh though, at the thought of all the punch ups this caused! :wtf: :oops: :oops:
    NZB

8. i think it was down to royal being fed up of having to drink vodka when all he wanted was good old rum! :dwarf: