Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

One for Pontius

In fact if you follow BNM’s Buccaner ‘cast you’ll see that the TSR was something of a white elephant. And was the carrier of the day. As are the present carriers

Watched the new series from C4 ' Top Guns...inside the RAF' on catch up last night.
First item at RAF Lossiemouth highlighting a pilot that was about to transfer to Estonia , said pilot was a FAA Lt though this was not pointed out. :)
Second episode featured Lossiemouth base Warrant Officer , he said people avoided him or walked the other way when they saw him coming as he was always picking them up for summat , just the same as when he joined up. Other feature was a pilot based at Akrotiri doing sorties into Syria against the small pocket of IS groups that still exist.

Second episode featured Lossiemouth base Warrant Officer , he said people avoided him or walked the other way when they saw him coming as he was always picking them up for summat , just the same as when he joined up. Other feature was a pilot based at Akrotiri doing sorties into Syria against the small pocket of IS groups that still exist.

When I was at Wyton (1990) I was doing my joining routine with a young crab LAC who joined the squadron the same day. I was a 2 star AEM at the time, due my Killicks rate.

We were bimbling down to SHQ (UPO) and a voice was heard shouting "Airman stop", my colleague stopped and I carried on. Another shout "and you!!!", I turned, pointed at myself and said "me?".

Turns out we had met the Station Warrant Officer for the first time, apparently you say good morning/afternoon/evening whenever you see him. After a chat which appeared to put the fear of god into my crab mate the SWO then quizzed me on why I wasn't wearing any rank insignia, "I haven't got any sir!" (No AB rate slides in those days), his answer "Get to stores and pick some up". This went on for weeks until I was passing his office and he called me in, I walked in and sat down (big RAF no, no!!), he didn't know what to say :). I Think it broke the ice, I explained the RN badge/rate structure and we had a brew, after that meeting he started calling me shipmate (obvs I still called him Sir).

Sadly he left about 6 months later and new one came in who was a tech WO and didn't give a shit to be honest (gash job he didn't want). The old SWO was part of the GD (General Duties) Trade, yes the crabs had a guardroom trade.... I suppose a bit like GI's but all they did was drill and running guardrooms.

Dipping sonar with readings transmitted back to mother ship, got to be quieter than a petrol pigeon which we can hear when it's in the hover.

Latest Threads