One for Pontius

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by scouse, May 14, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wish I had flotation bags:angel8:

Attached Files:

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

What's the story behind it Scouse?
  3. 8th Oct 2001 sqdn leader Clayton ejected safely after over running runway 22 and ended up in the river Yeo:neutral: Dave
    Last edited: May 14, 2013
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ah, an early example of the RAF trying to scrap Harriers prematurely.

Looks like it was a write-off according to your link & the guy had previously scrapped an RN Hunter also. No wonder he was on loan.
  5. I was just glad it wasn't me :grin:

Spon, despite being of the crustacean variety, was a good guy and brought some pretty good ideas to the SHAR from his F4/F3 flying. To be fair to him he was just doing his job of toasting one of the Senior Service's machines, in the best traditions of the Junior Service on exchange. Clearly they were trying to get us back for all the trouble wrought upon Crab stations about the country. He still lives in Somerset, so if anyone feels the need to go and give him a Chinese burn for wrecking RN property then just let me know and I'll give you his address.

I remember him after the Hunter ejection. That hurt his arse, whereas the SHAR was a much nicer ride.
  6. Ninja_Stoker

A chinese burn and a dead leg, I think, plus a fine of two pints of CSB - Chief Stokers Table.

Looking at the "losses" tab, listing UK military aircraft lost annually, is a bit of an eye opener - UK Serials

Some interesting (and tragic) crash reports on that link above, this one particularly amused:

7. read somewhere he cracked 3 ribs and broke his ankle, whilst ejecting from the Harrier . This is his hunter ejection?? 15/02/1992 WV363 872 Hunter T8C FRADU Crashed into The Minch seventy miles off Stornoway, Isle of Lewis after the pilot ejected following engine failure. It was carrying out exercise air raids on HMS Battleaxe. The aircraft was not recovered he crushed 3 vertabrae ...think that was a RN Hunter??
    Last edited: May 14, 2013
  8. 16/01/1976 XT758 B-VB Wessex HU5 848 NAS Suffered a control failure when 5ft above the deck of HMS Bulwark. It moved 50ft off the starboard bow and crashed into the Atlantic Ocean 780 miles off the Azores. The crew escaped safely. It sank while being recovered... I was ships company on the Rusty B when that happened, still got the phots at home somewhere.
  9. When he was skin..

Attached Files:

10. 200799_210554938961699_4178399_n_2.jpg

That's when I was skin :grin:
  11. Sir, sir, what's that aircraft?
  12. bloody hell, did everybody wear a hat, walk really fast and was there always a piano playing?
    • Like Like x 2
  13. JFH,

I don't know about the piano and walking fast but some days it certainly felt like being in a Keystone Cops moving picture. Lots of frantic action but bugger all happening :)
  14. image.jpg Wafus at work rest and play
  15. image.jpg Embarking for trials
  16. Jumper tucking 800 scum!!!
    • Like Like x 3
  17. How low can you go!!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Thats more like it! On les aura
  19. Per flight checks:grin:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Those rules could also be adapted for domestic use, substitute Pilot for Wife and Husband for co-pilot :)
    • Like Like x 2