One for Handler

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by scouse, Jul 21, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Could you explain the workings of this hold back double dongle??? If that's what it is

Attached Files:

2. Come on you chock heads!!!!!!
  3. Difficult one!!!

You have the tail bumper and arrestor hook, but the middle dangly bit is a might confusing!!!

Pilot hiding a golf club!! Weird one, had a good search and can't come up with anything yet!!
  4. Its the hold back unit, used on the cat, when the cat is tensioned, to keep the cab controlled until the signal is given to launch.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Most of the pics I have browsed the past few days, that part hasn't been visible, was it on all Scimitars?

Thunder & Lightnings - Supermarine Scimitar - Walkaround Photos
  6. The answer courtesy, of RB on Facebook Numbering from the left under the tail: the hold-back attached to British A/C by a circular hinged 'jaw' that clamped around the 'bar' of a 'T Piece' on the A/C. It was held closed by metal rings, 2 for Scim & Bucc, 1 for Gannet. Each ring broke and shattered at a pre-determined weight, 18,000lb jumped into my mind, although could well have been 20,000-22,000lb. This gave a total 'pull' requirement of around 38,000-42,000lb by the cat shuttle to achieve. The lump where it attaches to the A/C is the jaw system enclosed by an 'Aertex' knickers style fabric bag, elasticated at both ends to retain the broken bits of the ring(s) and avoid a FOD hazard. It was retained 'up' by the hooked wire, which a 'Badger' on the cat crew released, as the 'T Piece' was hinged, to avoid dragging along the deck when taxiing. The 1ft (30cm) (approx) bar hanging vertically down at the other end, was dropped into a slot in the deck by the aforesaid 'Badger' and 'Held Back' the A/C prior to full power and the cat stroke 'bursting' the metal rings. The US Navy system, which we had on the Brit Navy F4K Phantom, utilises a 'Break-Out Bar'. This looks like a 6" long small dumbbell. One 'Bell' is attached to the A/C and the other to the deck. The RN Phantom 'Break-Out Bar 'Went' and sheared at 75.000lb. It is currently used on the back of the 'Nose-Tow' system. Also by the FN on the C de G I presume?
  7. Any chance of saying that in English for those of us that don't speak-a-da fixed wing!!!!

I'm a poor ex WAFU helicopter maintainer and aircrewie!!! Me no understandy.:binky: