One for dapper

Taztiff

War Hero
One for @dapperdunn
What does it take to send the 500 men and women in a 19,000-tonne assault ship to Japan and back over ten months? Here are some statistics from HMS Albion:

240,000 sausages – laid end-to-end they’d stretch from Plymouth to Portsmouth

Enough baked beans to fill two Olympic-sized swimming pools

15,400 chickens

314,280 eggs – boiled, poached and scrambled

9 tonnes of bacon

59,544 chocolate bars

68,750 cans of diet coke

20,305 tins of beer

795 sacks of mail from loved ones

How many sausages?

guns1969

Lantern Swinger
One for @dapperdunn
What does it take to send the 500 men and women in a 19,000-tonne assault ship to Japan and back over ten months? Here are some statistics from HMS Albion:

240,000 sausages – laid end-to-end they’d stretch from Plymouth to Portsmouth

Enough baked beans to fill two Olympic-sized swimming pools

15,400 chickens

314,280 eggs – boiled, poached and scrambled

9 tonnes of bacon

59,544 chocolate bars

68,750 cans of diet coke

20,305 tins of beer

795 sacks of mail from loved ones

How many sausages?

Only 20,305 tinnies ? - fecking amateur's…..

Knotty

Lantern Swinger
Only 20,305 tinnies ? - fecking amateur's…..
My thoughts exactly, that's an average of just over 4 x tins per matelot per month!!
A waste of manpower loading the beer on the ship in the first place, I thought only the Yanks ran dry ships...

Sumo

War Hero
My first boat must have been abnormal then, as we'd get through a fair few tinny's off watch when the clickety clicks were showing :)
I forgot to say stand fast back afties:D who's watch keeping sometimes allowed more than 6 off?

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
:)
Wot that make us then, normal submarine at sea no beer, a long side, different kettle of fish?
@WreckerL @SONAR-BENDER @fishhead @janner @skyvet @Topstop plus many more, must goto work:)
You must have been in a different submarine service to me. Not drinking at sea was voluntary, as by the time one got off watch there was only about 5 hours until you were shaken again for the next watch. For sure I had the odd tinny if I REALLY fancied it. We had wine with Sunday lunch if you wished (I did!).

The black-dafties, having a different watch-keeping routine could have a drink if they wanted - there were a couple of times they did..........

Alongside..... Our grocer used to have a catering size tin of tomato juice on the mess table at harbour stations when going into port - not to sea! As soon as the first 'S' was out over the main broadcast for 'secure from harbour station's, it was open and a little vodka added....

Sumo

War Hero
You must have been in a different submarine service to me. Not drinking at sea was voluntary, as by the time one got off watch there was only about 5 hours until you were shaken again for the next watch. For sure I had the odd tinny if I REALLY fancied it. We had wine with Sunday lunch if you wished (I did!).

The black-dafties, having a different watch-keeping routine could have a drink if they wanted - there were a couple of times they did..........

Alongside..... Our grocer used to have a catering size tin of tomato juice on the mess table at harbour stations when going into port - not to sea! As soon as the first 'S' was out over the main broadcast for 'secure from harbour station's, it was open and a little vodka added....
Granted yes we were never dry just the restraint and professionalism of the submariner, as with all there were always the odd ones, occasionally share a bottle of red on steak night, with cheese board.

Surly you emptied some toms to make way for Voders O’clock?

We found an old drinks dispensing chiller when we started to restock after refit came in very handy, unfortunately to many cooks adding there bit made it a wicked/lethal cocktail machine, not for the duty watch?

Latest Threads