one for angry doc..

or anyone else who has been in the same boat..

i passed my RT, interview, eye test and 95% passed my medical..

the navy doc wants me to do a peak flow diary because i told him that i was prescribed inhalers 4 years ago because of "suspected astma"

so i went to my GP today so i could get a peak flow meter, and while i was there, i asked her to check my prescription history.

turns out. i was prescribed another "blue" inhaler on october 2007 :? this was because i went to see the doc to get nicoteen patches. and she asked me if i needed anymore inhalers.

i said "no" and that i lost my others since a yr and didnt feel i needed them (i chucked them because i dont have astma!). she prescribed me another blue inhaler as a "precaution"

now.... is this going to stop me getting in?or can i prove i have not got astma? i am pretty cheesed off with my GP. as there is no personal service there anymore and they never really diagnose anything properly.

i am a smoker and am getting 600 - 650 on the peak flow (quiting smoking starting now)
my girlfriend is a non-smoker and never been treated for astma and she gets 400 - 450 on the peak flow.

so in my eyes. my lung function is pretty damn good! and i run every day with no problems and play rugby 2 times a week with no problems..

please can someone put me at ease :(

Well 600 to 650 is pretty wel within normal limits.I think it all hangs on when you last had recourse to use an Inhaler.

i last used the inhaler 4 years ago... used for a day or 2 and just stopped. i used it as and wen the doctor told me to.. not because i was wheezing or anything.. and when i stopped and realised it wasnt doing anything and there was no need for it, they just stayed in the kitchen draw until i had a clear out and chucked them

gregsnell

Lantern Swinger
I had asthma as a child and it hasn't affected my application in any significant way.

I was advised however, to get a letter from my GP detailing all available information about my asthma history in the hope of negating the need for the doc sending a questionaire to my GP.

I had to pay for the service but the doc seemed pretty happy with it at my medical.

Certainly do what the doc says and keep a peak flow diary. Probably best to check with your medical examiner as he/she may have already sent off a questionaire in which case you'd just be wasting money getting your GP to write a letter.

yes, hes sent a questionare.. i asked my doctor today if she had it yet and she said no, but its no hurry because u have to keep the peak flow diary for a month anyway.

i really hope the doc passes me as fit :( i wish i refused that last inhaler now, because i never used it

my mind is now put at ease... for now :)) im going to change my doctors aswell.. this 1 has done nothing but ruin my life!

1st saying athletes foot was excema wen i was 16 which defered me from the army... and now prescribing me an inhaler wen i didnt even need it