One for all the youger members with loads of GCSEs

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by slim, Oct 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seems that we old farts know what we are talking about when it comes to exam results. For years we have claimed that the testing system has been dumbed down, resulting in ever increasing numbers gaining qualifications.

We Were Right.

Class of 76 'cleverer' than kids of today
    Clever teenagers of today are not as bright as kids in the class of 1976, according to researchers. Skip related content
    Related photos / videos Class of 76 'cleverer' than kids of today The intellect of even the brainiest 14-year-olds has deteriorated dramatically over the decades despite an increase in the number of pupils achieving top grades in exams.

Their cognitive abilities are level with those of 12-year-olds in 1976, the study found.

Researchers at King's College London compared the mental agility of 800 bright 13 and 14-year-olds with similar tests carried out some three decades ago.

The tests - designed to assess grasp of abstract scientific concepts such as volume, density, quantity and weight - found far fewer youngsters hit top scores than in 1976.

In one test, average achievement remained roughly the same as in 1976.

But only just over one in ten pupils were able to demonstrate a "higher level of thinking" compared to one in four in 1976.

In a test to measure mathematical abilities, only one in 20 of today's teenagers were top scorers, down from one in five in 1976.

Professor Michael Shayer, who led the study, said the brainpower slump may be down to over-testing in schools.

He said: "The moment you introduce targets, people will find the most economical strategies to achieve them.

"In the case of education, I'm sure this has had an effect on driving schools away from developing higher levels of understanding."

In previous research, Professor Shayer concluded that the cognitive abilities of 11-year-olds were up to three years behind where they were in 1975.

source
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20081027/tuk-class-of-76-cleverer-than-kids-of-to-dba1618.html

2. Me 1972 thick as fcuk but they took me, now 36 years later still thick as fcuk but a mastermind in human nature and I still really really dislike grunters.

3. I've never been bad at maths but I remember my dad a couple of years back asking me maths questions and I could no answer most of them, teachers now just expect everybody to use calculators and computers to do all the work, which makes us mostly lazy enough to rely on the technology.
    Genetics would not have changed just how we learn things has changed.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The only constant with regard examination standards that I'm aware of, is the RN recruiting test which has remained unchanged since 1943 according to Qinetic. (the ex-civil service organisation DERA, now a privately owned company which charges the same governments to access it's own research data).

The statistics reveal that the amount of people taking the test in 1943 are no brighter than those who take the test today. The only difference is, as correctly stated, that schools are driven by performance records to entice new pupils & increase revenue, rather than prepare pupils for the workplace.

5. I have been on a few courses these last few years at college. Before moving over to THE REPUBLIC. One young immature student was eventually banned for recieving and sending text messages. He asked his friend one day when he recieved a text from a girlfriend? what does. STOP BOTHERING ME MEAN. :laughing8:

6. 1. Teaching Maths In 1970

A logger sells a truckload of timber for £100.
    His cost of production is 4/5 of the price.
    What is his profit?

2. Teaching Maths In 1980

His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or £80.
    What is his profit?

3. Teaching Maths In 1990

His cost of production is £80.
    Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Maths In 2000

His cost of production is £80 and his profit is £20.
    Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Maths In 2008

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the
    preservation of our woodlands.
    He does this so he can make a profit of £20.
    What do you think of this way of making a living?
    Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes?
    (There are no wrong answers. )

6. Teaching Maths In 2018

Ø£ المسجل تبيع حموله شاحنة من الخشب من اجل 100 دولار. صاح¨ تكلÙØ©
    الانتاج من الثمن. ما هو الربح له؟

James

7. haha funny as feck, Post of the year had me and my mate rolling.

8. haha niceone jamesH was quite funny that

9. I was in the first year to sit the then new G.C.S.E. back in......Yes Well never mind. Which I believe was easier than the old O level.

My daughter has just sat her Maths G.C.S.E and it was definatly easier than the exams I did. She's had passed level 1 and 2 before she even sat the exam, so was pretty much guaranteed a grade C to A* just for turning up and spelling her name. Some of the questions she had to answer wouldn't have stretched the mental powers of an amoeba.

10. When I was at primary school back in the 1960s we would have been asked question like Q1 above. At secondary school we would be adding and subtracting fractions at 11 (I could do it then but cannot do it now o_O ). At 12 we were using log tables and by the time I started chemistry we were using slide rules (uuuurrrgh!). When I was at school you weren't allowed to use an electronic calculator for examined work at either O or A level, that included physics as well as Math. But in those days a Sinclair calculator which offered just: addition, subtraction, multiplication and division cost £100 for the kit and £150 ready made. My father got one of the first of these issued in the civil service (yes, at HM Treasury). He was earning about £600 a month then (that was in 1973-74). So his first calculator cost a week's salary! Interestingly I still use my first (scientific) Casio calculator which I bought in 1979. :thumright: