Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Once worn never forgotten

Just when you thought things couldn’t get any worse up popped the replacement for the oilskin which wasn’t oilskin but a black PVC Mac as worn by gas mask wearing MP’s whilst dangling on a rope.
Can’t remember seeing anyone wear a windproof jacket outside of training establishments, cold in the winter hot in the summer no pockets or elasticated cuffs mine was quickly ditched for the foul weather jacket that was issued to you onboard.
Only fly in the ointment was if you were accommodated ships in RNB you weren’t allowed to wear your Foulie jacket for the trudge between barracks and ship. Apparently it gave the Commodore palpitations.IMG_3973.jpeg

Just when you thought things couldn’t get any worse up popped the replacement for the oilskin which wasn’t oilskin but a black PVC Mac as worn by gas mask wearing MP’s whilst dangling on a rope.
Can’t remember seeing anyone wear a windproof jacket outside of training establishments, cold in the winter hot in the summer no pockets or elasticated cuffs mine was quickly ditched for the foul weather jacket that was issued to you onboard.
Only fly in the ointment was if you were accommodated ships in RNB you weren’t allowed to wear your Foulie jacket for the trudge between barracks and ship. Apparently it gave the Commodore palpitations.View attachment 76188
I used to wear my windy burb, in goal at hockey good for kemy warm and dry ish in bad weather, that is also where I lost it, left in hockey changing room, never to be seen again.

Wore the plastic windy berb at Ganges and Collingrad but ditched as soon as I joined my first ship. Also issued an oilskin at Ganges but had to return it when I left for Collingrad.
Just before Burbs got removed from the kit list I exchanged mine for a new one and still have it!

Wore the plastic windy berb at Ganges and Collingrad but ditched as soon as I joined my first ship. Also issued an oilskin at Ganges but had to return it when I left for Collingrad.
Just before Burbs got removed from the kit list I exchanged mine for a new one and still have it!
Can't remember what happened to my Burbs?

I thought the windy burbs was part of your working rig so not really de rigueur for a run ashore. My issued proper burbs disappeared from my bunkspace in one of the Dolphin messdecks. I hope its new owner treated it as well it had come to expect.

I thought the windy burbs was part of your working rig so not really de rigueur for a run ashore. My issued proper burbs disappeared from my bunkspace in one of the Dolphin messdecks. I hope its new owner treated it as well it had come to expect.
IIRC the windy burbs was working rig as you say, the actual burbs was for wearing ashore. With the windy burbs, if it rained your top half was dry and your legs were wringing wet!

The loan oilskin at Raleigh was the only true waterproof coat I have ever worn , never failed as the rain ran down it PDQ and soaked the bottom of your 8's and white gaiters leaving you in a milkey pool. Shame I had to give it back.:)

Latest Threads