On the step.

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by BillyNoMates, Feb 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [​IMG]

Now that was motoring in style.

2. I was on one of these, may have been this one, but don't remember ever doing it although I've seen the pictures.
    What exactly was the point?

3. Wasn't the Senior Rates' formation water-skiing team rehearsing for Navy Days?

4. It meant you could do about 23-24 kts - that is significantly quicker than any current class UK SSN is capable of (on the surface). It was all to do with the "teardrop" hull form and being able to "ride your own bow wave".

5. There wasn't really a tactical point, but it did look good, especially if you see the detritus of when D0 went on the step coming out of Faslane. From a practical perspectve, if you went on the step un-knowingly, when you 'fell off' you ran the risk of a P/F scram especially if the fall-off was not planned! Getting up there was also a caser of trial and error, and often happened accidentally - it was a CO's permission event if planned - and a CO's bo&**&*ng when it happened un-planned!

6. There's another view of D'Nut on the step
    [​IMG]
    It was always best with the old screw.
    geoff(ers) :nemo:

7. I seem to remember that the overall result was that for the same surfaced speed, reactor power was reduced.
    What's that first colour picture. It's not Dreadnought!!
    ps
    [​IMG]

8. Got to be post-76-77, we did the PARIS trials on VALIANT then. Haven't seen that pic before though - nice !

9. Isa,
    Do you remember Phil Driver And Gareth Harries from those Valiant days in the middle seventies and 'the last Tango on paris'?

10. Photo of SSN with Paying-0ff Pennant fluttering? Is it not Courageous
    leaving Faslane for refit in Chatham? If that be the case - then I recall
    that all them nice luxury yachts/cabin cruisers in Rhu Marina getting
    "Tsunami'd" when we went out.....much complaining ensued. Boats
    were ordered to leave Faslane a wee bit slower in future.

11. BnM
    It was actually Dreadnought goin' off to Chatham. We left the base and headed for Garelochhead. Turned down the Loch and put it on the step. Bit of a cheat way to do it really, but the same effect!!
    Amazing sensation on Dreadnought to stand at the second set of throttles between the engines and look forward as the boat seemed to rise in front of you.

12. Thanks for the info mate. Courageous did the same. I've got
    a similar photo in the loft somewhere!.
    Same kind speed coming back from "Up North" (only dived!).
    They rattled and bounced a bit then.

13. The two photos I've posted are from the Dreadnought Association website
    Hope I'm not breaching copyright :whew:

http://www.hmsdreadnought.co.uk/

14. Remember Phil Driver - the sound room crew at the time was Tex Eynon, Dave Hancock and Sam Smee - Robbie Burns was the TASI - later met him in Guzz as a fridge engineer. Remember a TANGO in the Med in 74 that disappeared off the planet when it dived - but not in PARIS. Has anyone found it yet ?

15. Sound room crew can't have been too busy on the step could they??

16. I think the last Valiant saw of it was 3khz on PARRIS...and that was it! Gone!!!!