"On The Square"

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by IDOITDEEPER, Feb 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I recently had to attend a meeting at work. During the course of introductions and formalities. I noticed that I received what I can only describe as a couple of "funny handshakes". Admittedly it could have been my over active imagination. Having had little exposure to this before, and having only watched television documentaries in respect to the subject, my question is how prevalent is free masonry in the UK armed forces and particularly the Royal Navy?

2. As ships are built of steel and not bricks the need for masons is extremely limited. Now roll up your trouser leg, place your right arm between your legs and shake hands with commander E
  3. I've only come across a couple of people in the mob who are brothers. There are quite a few civvies in Fazzers, and the tailor at Sultan in the late Eighties was one. I'm not one, just an observer of peoples' behaviour.
  4. Do you actually know what the handshake of a left handed back-tickler really is? If you don't then it is probably safe to assume that it is your over active imagination. It is also possible that someone may give a "funny handshake" without knowingly done so, though to prove oneself a freemason requires a little more than the handshake on its own.

Freemasons in the RN

Freemason thread from ARRSE
  5. Jimmy apologies for not searching the forum before posting. Thank you for the links of which I am sure will satisfy my curiosity in respect to this subject. No I do not know what the handshake of a left handed back tickler is, hence my very serious question. So exactly what is the said handshake? :thumright:

6. I could tell you but...........it's a secret.

The information is actually out in the public domain if you do your research.
  7. Nope it was not my vivid imagination Jimmy old chap. Shibboleth. :thumright:

8. I became a Freemason just before I left the RN and was well passed over, so it could have no effect on my career, one way or the other. It was one of the best things I have ever done. I have found an organisation of like minded men, most of whom are amongst the finest characters one could hope to meet. I have NEVER repeat NEVER had any experience of masons helping each other in an underhand way. And by the way, a man can only be a Freemason if he asks to be one; you are never (or shouldn't be)invited. As Americans say, if you want to be one, ask one. Oh, and before I am accused of being sexist, there is Freemasonry for women. Can we move on now?
  9. Which reminds me not to cross the river Jordan in a hostile manner, I might meet some right hard bastard. In fact we could probably do with him in the 'stan.
  10. Sibboleth! Oops!
  11. :mrgreen:
  12. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I know of a case a while back (80s) where a somewhat flaky and dishonest bod oiled his way to Treasurer of his local Conservative Association. Another prominent member (whom he had diddled in the past, lying about the purpose of a £1000 loan he had solicited and then tried to dodge paying back) wouldn't let on about what he knew because theory were both Masons.

Much further back (1809), I have it in my family that when one of my 3 greats grandfathers was captured in his Indiaman by the French, what got him and his officers and passengers released was a masonic handshake.
  13. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Over some years I have been asked by three seperate men if I would like to become a Freemason, my answer each time was no, there must be quite a few that don't know that they shouldn't be asking people to join
  14. I have no idea how common or how important the Masons really were in the RN but the perception of those outside was that it was common and I think I am right in saying that a lot of major shore bases had their own lodge.

Years ago my younger brother was playing cricket with the local team and at an away game the after game drink/meal was in the nearby lodge. Brother - who was a yong teenager at the time - wondered if he was allowed to go, and of course it was OK but, was told that our father was a mason. Brother says no and was then told that if his dad had been a Cdr. in the RN he must be a mason! Brother then comes home and asks the old man outright and got a right bollicking for even suggesting it!

There was one at least one RNR Division that was supposed to be in the grips of free masonary and allegedly only the masons got to senior rank status but I have to say that I never saw any hard evidence - just too much of the old boy network.

15. I would like it to be known that I am not and have never been a mason. I reached my exalted position as Captain of the heads by abiity and determination.
  16. Slim I managed to be captain of the heads on every craft I sailed on until I got my hook, just by name alone.
  17. You know some bstrds get all the good jobs.
    Nowt wrong with Captain of the heads, special duties and a piss easy job if it's done right. :thumright:
  18. Never a truer word -------and for the doubters I suggest don't
    kick it till you've tried it .

:nemo: :nemo:
  19. Slim it was just the funny handshakes that worried me!
  20. I would imagine that the captain of the heads would have ample time to practice funny handshakes but would other members of the square recognise it for what it was :?: