On Facebook: The glory that was Spanner's

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by chaffed_and_tender, Apr 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just found a group on Facebook that celebrates the glory that was Joanna's.
    There are a few photos on there, but in truth, mere photography doesn't begin to capture the essence of the place. To do that, you would need a medium that was a bit more.. olfactory and tactile.

There are a couple of good ones of the, er, 'talent' for which the place was so justly renowned. Apologies if any of you ended up marrying her... 8O

The horror, the horror...
  2. Dont think I will be joining that group. I wouldn't want any past acquaintances tracking me down :twisted:
  3. Correct shipmate...what happened whilst in the Mob should stay there... 8)
  4. Oh fcuk I gave Gilda your address 8O
  5. Its all right, I have moved three times since them days, she will never track me down
  6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

The Facebook group is for Joanna's, not Drummond's... :oops: :lol:
  7. Now you're showing your age. In my day it was the Wiltshire Lamb, then Drummonds and I believe now it's called the Hampshire Boulevard. :oops:
  8. Nice try,
    But it its not going to work......... We both know or at least I hope we both know that Gilda was a cook on an RFA.(I bileive that ignorance is no defence, ask Sgnt pep.
    Back on thread, Joannas was a great place for pulling gronks and grollies, and with convenient parking if required. And it is possible in a mini if young, agile, desperate and pissed.
  9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

T42S: It is indeed - and I am comfortable enough with my sexuality to admit that I have drunk in there (and The Old Vic, around the corner!) on several occasions... :shock: :lol:

And joking aside, the atmosphere in these two pubs is usually much better than dealing with the testosterone-pumped up wannabees and pathetically drunk teenagers you find in the bars/clubs in Guildhall Walk... :roll:

Notwithstanding that, I do miss Jo's. Despite some of the action I saw there (professionally and socially!) there will never be another establishment like it... :cry:
  10. Wasn't Snapper trapping part of the course.
    This years trappers..........
    Next years snappers.

But yes it was a good watering hole, as was the Rose of England which also had the "Reputation" in the late '60s.
  11. Ah yes, Johannas. Sticky carpet, strange smell, plastic glasses and the tree...... About all I can recall after all these years. :p
  12. Many a good night spent in there, along with Pyramids on a Wednesday night "Grab a granny night"
  13. the bistro club had the classier trollops tho imho
  14. Joannas ??......Crystal Lounge when it first opened '69. :) .... before ending up in there we would hit Apsley House, Palmerston and Timber Tavern.
  15. What about the Coral Reef Lounge on the Pier :wink: :wink: And the Fes bar with John on the organ :sex:
  16. Fes bar renamed Gaiety Lounge early 70's, resident group in season played the same garbage EVERY night ( I was Blue Card rating at the time so made it down Southsea most nights ) :)
  17. Actually trapped at Grab a Granny night at the Ritz I think it was called.
    She said her dad was a chief stoker on a DLG.

She went like a rabbit all night long and it only cost me a bottle of Mattress Rose.

The lads I was out on the town with were Aussies trainee submariners and her mates boyfriend rolled off her and left and this dink was in her before she knew he had gone.

Happy days or nights to be specfic :lol:
  18. Any memories of the Pom 'Dore is it still there
  19. Memories of Joannas? Sticky carpets, plastic pint tumblers, fantastic atmosphere and no shortage of big eats to soak up the gut rot afterwards.

Definition of down and out in Portsmouth always used to be "when the manager of Joannas recognised you at the door"

Happy days.

20. Stirling

The Apsley House for you:

The Apsley House, Auckland Road West, Southsea, PO5 3NY

"Converted from a private residence, The Apsley House is tucked away in a side street, facing Southsea Common. The pub is a thriving and welcoming establishment, serving quality real ales and providing something for everyone. The small patio at the front of the pub is always busy during the summer months".