Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Omar Kyam

asst_dep_to_dep_asst said:
Nutty said:
The problem is of course who decides who should be dispatched, your choice may not be mine. Perhaps that is why we like to live in a Western Liberal Civilisation and not in some 3rd World hell hole run by some despot with strange religious or other beliefs. You seem to favour the latter choice. Nutty

Spot on. The decision is with the person holding the gun and there is no reason for anyone to ever hear about it. As to us all living in a western liberal civilisation...dream on McDuff. The plank in No 10, in collusion with many others, got UK plc's DEFENCE forces into a shooting war and its sequelae at the behest of a Christian fundamentalist, whose Dad just happened to have been embarrassed by the same enemy a decade before.

I would much prefer to let our version of justice take its course, but as a realist I know that guilty bastards don't hang, largely because we've allowed the lunatics to run the asylum.

I'm with Nutty on this. Your kind of Britain would cease to be a cohesive society and would soon turn into anarchy. In practice the strongest would triumph at the expense of the weakest. That would mean that armed Muslim extremists could kill with impunity. You could kill back, but the result would be anarchy and civil war. The rule of law must be maintained and the social contract upheld, however imperfect such a system is. The alternative, as Hobbes observed in his famous book Leviathan, is that life would be nasty, brutish and short.

Long live liberalism! Long live liberal fundamentalism! Liberty! :D :D :D

Always_a_Civvy said:
asst_dep_to_dep_asst said:
Nutty said:
The problem is of course who decides who should be dispatched, your choice may not be mine. Perhaps that is why we like to live in a Western Liberal Civilisation and not in some 3rd World hell hole run by some despot with strange religious or other beliefs. You seem to favour the latter choice. Nutty

Spot on. The decision is with the person holding the gun and there is no reason for anyone to ever hear about it. As to us all living in a western liberal civilisation...dream on McDuff. The plank in No 10, in collusion with many others, got UK plc's DEFENCE forces into a shooting war and its sequelae at the behest of a Christian fundamentalist, whose Dad just happened to have been embarrassed by the same enemy a decade before.

I would much prefer to let our version of justice take its course, but as a realist I know that guilty bastards don't hang, largely because we've allowed the lunatics to run the asylum.

I'm with Nutty on this. Your kind of Britain would cease to be a cohesive society and would soon turn into anarchy. In practice the strongest would triumph at the expense of the weakest. That would mean that armed Muslim extremists could kill with impunity. You could kill back, but the result would be anarchy and civil war. The rule of law must be maintained and the social contract upheld, however imperfect such a system is. The alternative, as Hobbes observed in his famous book Leviathan, is that life would be nasty, brutish and short.

Long live liberalism! Long live liberal fundamentalism! Liberty! :D :D :D

FANKS MATE!!!!!

Nutty

In the words of the great Eddie Izzard:

"I'm a sort of Radical Liberal, really. I say storm the houses of Parliament, kick the fcuking doors in, tell them "look, we'll pay for the damage..."

Latest Threads