Olympics with a slight Jack touch

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by kinross_special, Aug 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This could have gone in several forums but I went for current affairs given the currentness (if you will).

Just to say that for those of you who will be watching the Olympics, a mate of mine from uni, Lt Pete Reed RN, will be representing GB in the coxless fours and I believe that starts on Saturday.

He's one of two RN officers in this year's olympics, and tbh, it's nice to see serving RN personnel get a look-in (the army and RAF having put forward people in numbers for years). I know we're the smaller Service, and people are doing vital jobs with the mob all over the world, but a bit of positive pr for the RN can only be a good thing at the moment....

2. A wren officer is it?

3. Petra, If I am not mistaken.

Nutty

4. The RN website contains information about Olympic rower Peter Reed here and the UK's number one female single-handed sailor Penny Clark here. Congratulations and the best of luck to both of them. :clap:

5. Just out of interest, how many ratings actually, really, get the chance to do what they are doing.
    And no it really isn't all of them, is it.
    As far as i'm concerned, them being there (along with any other serving forces personnel) makes a bloody mockery of the service personnel serving "elsewhere" shall we say. We bleat and moan about cutbacks and not enough people, yet we have people swanning off to the Olympics. Out of order in my opinion.

6. I think you will find a fair cross-section of ranks in national and international competitions among the activities listed on the RN website here. The RN's traditional forte used to be the Four-Man Bob in the Winter Olympics and the teams were always an eclectic mix.

If the RN can't offer a bit of physically challenging Sport & Adventurous Training (apart from the travel, one of the main reasons I joined) including the opportunity for people to represent their country, then who should? We are talking about two individuals out of over 37,000 Naval Service personnel who have earned the chance to show they are the best in the world in the most prestigious sporting arena on earth. Would you prefer to have sacked them? We've lost the chance to cheer on our field gun teams at the Royal Tournament. Don't begrudge us these two sources of pride in our Service. God knows we seem to have little enough of it these days.

P.S. I think this is the last person we had in the Naval Service who was the UK's best at something.

7. Ratings and ORs have the chance to compete at the top level in sport if they have the ability, take Garath Archer, who was an Army corporal who went on to play rugby at international level. Granted, it's not many, but you first of all have to be good enough and that's not a rank-related thing!

8. I think we had a couple of golds at the Commonwealth Games in shooting a couple of years ago.

I've never met Penny Clark, but I've met Peter Reed. Really nice bloke. And big. Very big. Biggest lungs in the world or something (now there's a chat-up line).

Best of luck to them. Peter's final is on Saturday week, and Penny's on the 19th I think.

9. I was Pete Reed's DO for a while when I worked at Sultan. Can concur with Asst_Ed's comments. Bloody nice bloke. I know Penny too. Best of British to both of them.

10. Programme of events for all four service personnel competing in the Olympics available on the RN website here.

11. Seem to be doing okay so far in the medals tables - 7th position to date :thumright:

12. Among the RN Olympics competitors, Penny Clark has placed second, a disastrous twenty-second and first in three races so far in the Laser Radial and currently stands fifth overall (link). Pete Reed's Coxless Fours team has placed first in both races so far (link).

Among the Army competitors, Alastair Heathcote's Men's Eights team has placed first in the only race so far (link) and Robin Bourne-Taylor's team has placed fourth in the Men's Pair Heat 2, fourth in the Men's Pair Repechage and first in the Men's Pair Final C (link).

There are no RAF competitors.

13. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

...'cos the Games take place over the weekend! :wink:

14. Also, the low cloud base over Beijing precludes them taking part. :)

15. Things are looking extremely promising for Pete Reed's Coxless Fours team in the final tomorrow (link). In all, Great Britain will have ten crews in this weekend's Olympics rowing finals (link).

16. Who won the gold in the 'Dance of the flamin' assholes?' There must have been some Naval connection there. :tp:

When is the Synchronised Follow Through taking place? I know Sue Barker will be keen for us to get Gold as she is a great fan. :toilet:

17. FLASH - Pete Reed rowing in the Coxless Four final online here now!

18. GOLD! Caught up and overtook the Aussies 100m from the line.

19. Excellent race! :w00t:

Well done! :wav:

20. Have never met the guy, but at interview he comes across as the most unassuming individual. What an advert for Pusser!