Olympic closing Ceremony

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Sumo, Aug 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Stayed and watched to the end, was it me or was it a bit odd and random?

Better than opening ceremony or not?
  2. I thought it was patronising so fcuked off to bed
    • Like Like x 1
  3. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

The thing that got me most was people that were missing; they played David Bowie, Fashion, could he not be arsed to turn up? Would have been nice to have David Jason in the flesh for the Only Fools and Horses sketch too, though I'm not sure that the rest of the world would have got any of that sketch.Fair play to Gary Barlow though, not a Take That fan, but it must have taken to some guts for him to pitch up considering his recent loss.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Tiddlyoggy

agree with all above
    Then there was a random sktch from Monty Python? at least they had Eric I
  5. Watched the whole thing, too, albeit supported by a large slug of whisky. It's not just you - it was weird and random, but I reckon that was half the point. Much of the music is just a space filler, so that they can achieve the key points - national anthem of outgoing hosts, get the athletes in, flag handover, extinguishing the flame.

I do find the extinguishing bit very poignant. There are very few honourable things left in the world and the Olympic Ideal is one of them, embodied in the Flame, the Oath and the Flag.

The entertainment part of it was OK. Some pleasant surprises - Russel Brand can sing, George Michael appeared to be sane and sober (we all know he can sing), Eric Idle is still funny(ish), Jessie J has a cracking voice. Some less inspiring aspects - Emile Sande is full of passion etc, but really cannot sing in tune.
  6. You missed one, the tradition of giving the marton winners the biggest medal ceromony of the games, infront of all the Olympians, that must of been special for them!
  7. Overall a good show really, low point was Brand, he's a plain moron, at least we were saved from wrinkly McCartney and Dame Elton. All in all it finished off what has been a brilliant games.
  8. Fair enough
  9. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed most of it, who ever was the clever sod that sorted the lights out in amongst the stands did a fantastic job.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. David Bowie has just tweeted!!! He is stuck on the hard shoulder of the M25 in his VW Camper Van, waiting for the AA with The WHO. Kate Bush. ELO. and the rest of the KINKS^_~
  11. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

The WHO must have joined them AFTER appearing in the closing ceremony!!! :)

Anyway AA do not come to you, you have to go to their meetings! :)
    • Like Like x 1
  12. May be they were having an AA meeting in his camper van due to their fame they wanted to keep it on the QT and Bowie failed as he thought the Who were with him.
    Whats a tweet?
  13. tiddlyoggy

Tribalclass,I've got to disagree about Emily Sande, a far better singer than Jessie J in my opinion. It seems to me that she tries too hard and overdoes it all the time, along with too many random shouts, like "London 2012, whhoooop!!"
  14. Many stars have been known to forget where they are and call out the wrong city name, may be she was just reminding her self where she was????:dontknow:
  15. tiddlyoggy

Could be mate, I also should have added the fact that she thinks she's divs when she actually looks like a bloke annoys me a bit too.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. WhilstIi admire the athletisis ...... athleticis ..... fcuk it .... sporting achievements we have to remember that a lot of people make a lot of money out of the Olympics. To me, I see the Olympic Ideal as in how to screw as much money out of people as possible and to use volunteers wherever possible by selling this "Olympic Ideal" to ensure that profits are maximised to the full. It is all about the money. The head of the IOC was asked to justify his wages and all he could come up with was that they attend organisational meetings and award the medals. As we can all see here, that is a pretty strenuous work load ..

Please don't get me wrong, I am all for capitalism but at least be honest about it and ensure that all people taking part get a fair bite of the cherry. But with good marketing and PR skills to the fore there will still be naive and gullible people to volunteer; and it will be ever thus.
  17. Was waiting for the big hitters to show up!!!! Good job they didn't do an Olympic drugs test on G M like they do on the athletes lol ps was waiting for Burly Chassis, and the Proclaimers, but hey ho no;-P pps respect to Gary Barlow
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  18. ===============================

1. I hope Finks appreciated that wee flash of his kilted brethren (shame no Bay City Rollers, though).

2. UK usually excels at formal pageantry; both this and the opening ceremony demonstrated to the world that we can be quite good at non-military spectaculars, too.
  19. Yep spotted Jocks on frocks strangling cats, completely forgot they were there.
  20. Who the feck was Prince Henry??