Old torpedo found

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Topstop, May 20, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [h=1]Navy Dolphins Searching For Mines Uncover Sunken 19th Century Torpedo[/h]
    It's only the second torpedo of its kind ever found.
    By Colin LecherPosted 05.20.2013 at 12:00 pm3 Comments

19th Century Torpedo
    U.S. Navy via Los Angeles Times
    Dolphins have been used for 50 years to help the U.S. Navy echolocate mines. That project is going away in 2017 (to be replaced by robots) but in the meantime, a team of Navy dolphins have picked up something a little more vintage.
    Off the coast of California, the dolphins, getting Navy training, uncovered what you see here: a Howell torpedo. From 1870 to 1889, a Rhode Island company produced a mere 50 of them, and it's only the second that's known to still exist (the other example is in a Keyport, Washington museum).
    It might not look like much now, but back in the day, this was a top-shelf torpedo: the 11-foot, brass Howell could shoot 400 yards at 25 knots and was the first torpedo that could follow a track without leaving a wake, the Los Angeles Times reports.
    Next step: get these dolphins to search for sunken pirate gold.
    [Los Angeles Times]

2. In my youth as a fisherman,back in the 80's we picked one up in the net of the west coast of Scotland.Talk about shitting ones self..:shock:=D
  3. That's an awesome gizzit, it would look especially awesome in my office.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. On a slightly different note, I found this phot online, anyone have any ******* idea what's going on?

Why is an Aussie in a hole with two Seadarts?

Do Aussies use Seadarts? Do we often bury them or leave them lying around in holes? I'm assuming they'd be a bit less intact if they were ones that had been fired.

Attached Files:

5. Dunno about the Seadart but that torpedo scrubbed up well considering it's age. Wouldn't have liked to be the bloke on 9's who was given a tin of Brasso and told to clean that up!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. The Aussie with Seadart is almost certainly the aftermath of Nottingham's 2002 grounding. The magazine was flooded and the Seadarts had to be treated very gently afterwards.
  7. Bingo, even down to the image.

8. NG, that Whitehead torpedo got me a bollocking from a young female conservator. I was working in "Explosion" at the time and had been detailed off to clean it. Using Wadpol it came up a treat. When she finally calmed down, she informed that as she didn't recognise what I was using, therefore it was illegal!! Of course she got short shrift from me, off she went to see my boss. After he stopped laughing at her complaint he told her not to get involved in things she knew nothing about. That covered just about everything in the museum!