Old timers' sink emptying SOP

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by flymo, May 26, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A question that has puzzled me for years.

I joined up in '83 and over the years in different drafts served with several old timers who were still JRs. These guys must have been in their mid to late 30s. Yup - OLD blokes....
    Why was it that when going for a dhoby they wouldn't wait for the water to go down the sink hole but scoop it up and let it splash over the side and invariably down their legs. So "why?" Were older ships not fitted with plug holes in their sinks or was it 'cos these blokes were so old and thus closer to death that they couldn't spare the time to wait for the sink to empty?

Any ideas?

MODS: this could be moved to the gash barge of necessary.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Normally related to the suds.
    You can't rinse suds down a plug hole quickly. Much simpler to scoop it all out and rinse with freshers.
    Last edited: May 26, 2013
  3. Flymo - are you asking about 'budgie baths' onboard ship? I recall standing in front of the wash basin, soaping down the old body, then using the contents of the sink to rinse all the soap off! Don't know why we didn't just have a shower! Last thing you did was to clean off the sink, with even more water, ready for the next user.
  4. This used to irritate me.
    I'd come out of the shower, nicely rinsed off only for some selfish bugger,(who'd not yet showered so-that's-OK-then), to splash his socks and knicks soapy water all over himself and anyone at the next sink, (me and the bloke the other side of him), resulting in me having to rinse off my lower legs and feet again.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's often wondered why.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Absolutely with flymo here, though not just JRs.

SHAMBLESCLOWN late 90's and a normally quite sane Charge Chief clanky used to fling water round at wild abandon. I never really understood it - and that about the suds is crap - what's the hurry? Few people think for themselves in the Navy, they just carry on with the same old bollocks they saw when they were juniors. That's why bullying took so long to approach in a sensible way.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Not a stoker then? We were always in a fucking hurry. Either late or wanting to be first i. The scran que.
  7. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Guzzler. Name and shame that clanky (I must know him) who would waste our beautifully made oggin so wantonly.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. A good cure for "water babies" on boats was to send them back aft to watchkeep on the brabies. A couple of days down the lower level soon taught them to be more prudent when chucking water about.
  9. wal

wal Badgeman

I still splash around in the bathroom basin, it really pisses the wife off.
  10. Thank god it wasn't just me. I thought I was mad ..... oh, but that's another subject for another thread.

Yes Wits, however they would do this irrespective if they had had a shower or not. Splashing water all over the deck thus making it extra slippy - nice ....

Did I ever mention the time in a 3Y session going for a dhobie on Illustrious down 6D showers through a kidney hatch? Ship rolls a bit as I go through, lose footing, fall down ladder, coccyx then bounces off a metal rung as I fall, thinking I had better be-careful on landing as I'm wearing flip flops and don't want any bust ankles, Oh look, there's "Mouse" Harcombe coming out of the bathroom, he's looking at me really concerned, shit I must be in a bad way ... SPLATT.
  11. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

We had blokes in the army that partook of this rather odd practice. We had a name for them. Cunts.
  12. We had to get the sacks of rotting spuds out of the shower tray
    before we even thought about trying to cleanse oneself. I don't
    understand what you lot is on about. Soapsuds frighten me.

13. 'twas kegs in ours!!
  14. AAF

AAF Badgeman

Soon as Mermaid left the wall we had to ration water as the vcd's output was limited, stoker w/keeping on vcd/genny ....pipes up to ECR that he cannot get a good water test from vcd, Engineer happens to be in ECR at the time and grabs the mic.....''Taste the bloody stuff....if you do not die put it on ships tanks'' 10 second pause ''Er Roger''.
  16. Cleaning gear in ours, not enough water to shower but plenty to scrub out.
  17. Cleaning gear in the JR's, barrels in the SR's, rank has it's privilege dontcha know.
  18. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

The sink scooping. My theory is that with all 'old and bold' affectations the reason is simple.

Look at me, three badge man of mystery. I do things differently, haven't got a clue why and I don't notice the negative aspects. My sea daddy did it, like his sea daddy before him....my beard is coming along nicely.
    • Like Like x 4
  19. Oops, sorry, just seen this. Bloody name escapes me. Wiry chap, footballer and runner (& cyclist?) if I remember rightly. Think he was east of Penines originally, but certainly a northern monkey of some description. Always had a smile and easy going and popular bloke. That's going to bug me now.