Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Old PC to New PC transfer problems

oldseadog

War Hero
How do I transfer everything held in Outlook from an old PC to a newer one?

I am running XP Pro on both, along with Office 2007.

I have the transfer USB cable, which does not work as the old PC is USB1 and the new one USB2, therefore incompatable!

Any assistance would be appreciated.

OSD

Who is your email account with?

You can try backing up your Outlook file and then saving to CD and transfering across.

Let me know what you want to transfer and I might have a work around, although it has been some years since I had to do this on a PC (Mac user now).

The e-mail accounts are with Talktalk and Freeola.

Where do I transfer the files to? On the old one they are in "C:|Documents and Settings\****\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook" I do not have that directory on the new one. Do I create a new directory, or will Outlook look for the personal folders itself?

OSD

LP_Blower said:
StixJimboRM said:
Guns said:
Mac user now.

Good man!!! another convert. And I trust that you, like myself, are more than satisfied and will not be a slave to Bill Gates ever again?

Instead one can be a slave to Steve Jobs? 8O

I run Linux and have never met Linus. Wonder if he has ever heard of me?

I fell out of love with M$ when they tried to make it illegal to buy a computer without an operating system already installed on it ...

oldseadog said:
The e-mail accounts are with Talktalk and Freeola.

Where do I transfer the files to? On the old one they are in "C:|Documents and Settings\****\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook" I do not have that directory on the new one. Do I create a new directory, or will Outlook look for the personal folders itself?

OSD

Just create the directory exactly as it was on the old computer and move the contents over. USB1.1 is cross compatible with USB2.0, though I'm not sure about USB1.0, if all else fails, you can always whack the outlook files on a disk/USB memory stick (weirdly, if you have USB1.0, the cheaper the memory stick the better!).

Good luck with it!

Latest Threads