Old Naval Words and Sayings

Jamie

Midshipman
Might interest some of you but might not.
There is a lot of words and descriptions and customs and things our NEW NAVY personnel may not know about.

EG..What is the Truck on a ship
Where would you find the Orlop (especially on Wooden Ships)
What do we really mean when we say "It's cold enough to freeze the Balls on a Brass Monkey" and "There's no room to swing a cat in here" etc etc.

There are dozens more..hundreds even !!!!..(the ancient Mariner)

:lol:

chockhead819

War Hero
cannon balls were stored on a "brass monkey" when it got cold it shrunk & the cannon balls fell off. hence freezing the balls off a brass monkey

no roon to swing a cat - no room to swing a cat o nine tails

Moojuice!

Badgeman
Orlop is a bastardization of the Dutch "overloop" which means covering. So, it's a cover over a hold but can be used as "The lowest deck" 'cos under the orlop is, technically, the lowest deck.

How cool are the T.A.S. Apes today then??

Moo!

Moojuice!

Badgeman
Also .... A truck is a cap on top of Flagstaff or mast.

Jeeze ..... We Ganges Boys are on fire today eh??

Moo!

Bring 'em on!!

Jamie

Midshipman
You Ganges lads are GO_OOOOOOD O..Full marks to you all.

Anyone know what a"Scotsman" is on a ship (and I don't mean a pissed up Haggis waffler coming back on board from a Run Ashore..sorry..stagger ashore...lo

Not being a dabtoe I don't know about the Block and Tackle business..but I've heard of a "Toggle and Two"......

Do the latest ships still have ringbolts lying about....on deck !!!!! :)

clanky

War Hero
Jamie said:
You Ganges lads are GO_OOOOOOD O..Full marks to you all.

Anyone know what a"Scotsman" is on a ship (and I don't mean a pissed up Haggis waffler coming back on board from a Run Ashore..sorry..stagger ashore...lo

Not being a dabtoe I don't know about the Block and Tackle business..but I've heard of a "Toggle and Two"......

Do the latest ships still have ringbolts lying about....on deck !!!!! :)

IIRC from chippies course, the scotsman is on the focsle, unless you are talking about the ice making machie of course.

Jamie

Midshipman
Clanky..

Aye lad correct.....In basic training we were told the Scotsman was thick re-inforced guides for the anchor chains..called appropriately the 'scotsman' because it was "Thick" and could withstand some rough batterings....how bloody true...