OLD MAN IN UNIFORM ERROR (3 threads merged)

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by SONAR-BENDER, Feb 1, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2013
  2. Why do they do it?

Redmist is that you ?

• Like Like x 1
  3. .
    Bit sad

But p'raps I get my uniform back now...;-P

4. And your medals

5. This walting is a strange business, to the best of my knowledge the first recorded instance was some bint in Oz going by the name of Matilda.

6. Way to go Robbo free wets free nights out lots of totty, sad twat

7. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Three threads merged.

Hardly the Adolf Eichmann of walticide. If he was a senior officer in the Merchant Navy, then 3 rings would be appropriate. The RN doesn't own the rights to the dimensions, colour and curl. His buttons don't appear to be RN and may be generic MN or former employer's house style. Of his cap, only the badge is wrong, the generic (UK) MN cap badge being only subtley different from the RN one he is wearing. The RN don't hold the rights to white caps. Milkmen wear them.

Medals, I don't know.

Breast pocket handkerchief with medals however is a hanging offence. Tsk!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  8. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Isn't Milford Haven half way between London and New York?

9. One of the medals is the queens golden jubilee medal don't know the others

10. One of the others is the silver jubilee gong.

11. Agreed on the Silver & Golden Jubilee medals, but the one inboard of those should be junior to them, QE2 Coronation medal perhaps? That outboard one looks very "Merchy", not sure if they got Jubilee medals, so perhaps he is entitled to them. (I am still against him wearing the rank though).

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  12. I think on the original newspaper article it said he was wearing the reserve forces medal, I think thats the green ribbon, the other one looks like diamond jubilee. At least he's not wearing un-earned gallantry or campaign medals though.

13. That's pretty easy to check on. The names of the recipients are published.

14. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

He's wearing an RN cap badge.

A Mercantile Marine Medal was dished out after WW1. In WW2 Merch would have been eligible for theatre medals - Atlantic Star etc.

15. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

The blurb says he was something to do with the SCC. No need to be RNR(SCC) for that but may still be entitled to Jubilee gongs. MN are eligible for campaign medals and RN and civilian list decorations. Curls are, I believe, are connected to officers of companies who ran Royal Mail Ships back in the day. Coastguard officers wear curls as did Customs Officers. Holland America Officers wear them, British and cloggies......the list goes on.

This old boy is not causing me any offence. I speak as someone who was once mistaken for a Fire Brigade Officer while in the offices of another Government Department. Naval Uniform is anything but exclusive. Turn off the engine and step away from the bus.

• Like Like x 1
  16. [​IMG] I was once mistaken for Robert Redford.

17. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

SCC wear the old Wavy Navy stripes I believe.