Old Crest Query - Naval Armament Supply Dept

Discussion in 'History' started by jambosun, Sep 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I saw recently an old Crest for the Naval Armament and Supply Department. It is languishing in a building that is about to be closed down and I think it needs to find a proper home. Interestingly (to me anyway) is the fact that is a brass plaque on the reverse that reads:

Approved
    By
    The Board of Admiralty
    CEI/CE 50622/49
    23-4-1956
    AS/DC.38
    I've not seen any Crest/Ship's Badge with a plaque on before and so wondered if this was the first cast of the final design. Any one out there got any ideas or where should be its final resting place?

The Crest is 12" long, an oval belt with "Naval Armament Supply Department" on it, in the centrepiece is white with a gold coloured fouled killick anchor and on top is the usual decoration of ship's stern and sails (I'm sure there's a proper name for that arrangement).

Any info gratefully received.

Thanks, Jambosun​

2. Hello Jambosun,

I'm sure the Explosion! Museum of Naval Firepower on the site of RNAD Priddy's Hard in Gosport would be interested in this and would be your best bet for information. Call them on 023 9250 5609 or use the online query form here.

The museum also has a Facebook page here.

3. Now why didn't I think of that, especially as I live in Gosport?! Thanks NG I'll look into it and see if I can sort something out.

4. Small world...

VERY small world. Just yesterday I was looking at the Admiralty Armaments Department Roll of Honour 1939-1945. It's in the canteen at Ensleigh, just outside Bath. Not sure if that's the establishment you're referring to, Jambosun - might equally be Foxhill I guess which is over on the other side of the city, both are scheduled for scrap in the next few months.

Anyway, it's a big handsome oak board with about 200 names on it and I was wondering if anyone was going to look after it when the buldozers move in. If you're talking to the museum about the crest, could you mention the board too?

Happy to help if I can - will be back there next week and could get a pic if you want to pass it on. Those 200 should not be forgotten.

5. I know that Roll of Honour well. It used to be in B Block but I wasn't aware it had moved. Do you have a point of contact for whoever runs Ensleigh nowadays as I agree it would be good if we could find a proper home for both the Crest but more importantly the Roll of Honour.

If/when Explosion get back to me I will mention the Board but with no promises. I have no idea how ownership of things like that are determined but it musn't be cast aside in a skip.

6. Both of these may in actuality belong to the RN Trophy Centre. Ring them on 02392 720120.

7. Thanks Joe, Much appreciated. I was going to do that next week to get some advice. Normally though there is an identification reference on the things they issue/loan and there is certainly nothing on the plaque and it was pretty much dumped. The RNTC may the best conduit in gifting this sort of stuff though - that way its all official and above board.

8. I've done a bit of digging at Ensleigh and found the "owner" of the memorial board who also organised an Armistice Day ceremony there last year. Plans to have another one this year on Friday 11/11 if you are interested. He'd be very pleased to hear from you about the crest with a view to getting both items together in a new home in due course - I'll PM you his contact details.

9. Cheers, I got it and have replied. Really appreciate your help. I'll let you know how it goes.

10. Just to let you know that I have been in touch with DavenportR's contact to talk about the Naval Armaments Roll of Honour. We've had a chat about where the most appropriate place is for it to go and he is on the case. Hopefully we'll get a clear way ahead on both the plaque and board soon. Thanks for your help.

11. Naval Armament Supply Department Badge

Hi, I have an old badge (pic attached). Is this the same as the one in this thread? I believe the Naval Armament Supply Department was in existance from 1891 to 1923, when its name changed. The badge is made of very heavy bronze and is about 8 inches high. I would be grateful for any further information about it.

Attached Files:

12. Hi Grouse, yes that's pretty much the same as the crest although there is a red line on the anchor. The crest I've seen is dated 1956. The info below came from the National Archives.

During the First World War the Directorate of Naval Ordnance was divided, a separate Directorate of Torpedoes and Mining being hived off. After the Second World War this became the Directorate of Underwater Weapons. In 1958 the two were re-united as divisions of the Weapons Department, under the Director General of Weapons (Director General, Weapons from 1960 to 1964). Between 1918 and 1923 and again from 1939 there was a separate Armament Supply Department. From 1940 to 1945 there was a Miscellaneous Weapons Development Department.