Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old Crest Query - Naval Armament Supply Dept

jambosun

Lantern Swinger
I saw recently an old Crest for the Naval Armament and Supply Department. It is languishing in a building that is about to be closed down and I think it needs to find a proper home. Interestingly (to me anyway) is the fact that is a brass plaque on the reverse that reads:

Approved
By
The Board of Admiralty
CEI/CE 50622/49
23-4-1956
AS/DC.38
I've not seen any Crest/Ship's Badge with a plaque on before and so wondered if this was the first cast of the final design. Any one out there got any ideas or where should be its final resting place?

The Crest is 12" long, an oval belt with "Naval Armament Supply Department" on it, in the centrepiece is white with a gold coloured fouled killick anchor and on top is the usual decoration of ship's stern and sails (I'm sure there's a proper name for that arrangement).

Any info gratefully received.

Thanks, Jambosun​

jambosun

Lantern Swinger
Now why didn't I think of that, especially as I live in Gosport?! Thanks NG I'll look into it and see if I can sort something out.

DavenportR

Midshipman
Small world...

VERY small world. Just yesterday I was looking at the Admiralty Armaments Department Roll of Honour 1939-1945. It's in the canteen at Ensleigh, just outside Bath. Not sure if that's the establishment you're referring to, Jambosun - might equally be Foxhill I guess which is over on the other side of the city, both are scheduled for scrap in the next few months.

Anyway, it's a big handsome oak board with about 200 names on it and I was wondering if anyone was going to look after it when the buldozers move in. If you're talking to the museum about the crest, could you mention the board too?

Happy to help if I can - will be back there next week and could get a pic if you want to pass it on. Those 200 should not be forgotten.

jambosun

Lantern Swinger
I know that Roll of Honour well. It used to be in B Block but I wasn't aware it had moved. Do you have a point of contact for whoever runs Ensleigh nowadays as I agree it would be good if we could find a proper home for both the Crest but more importantly the Roll of Honour.

If/when Explosion get back to me I will mention the Board but with no promises. I have no idea how ownership of things like that are determined but it musn't be cast aside in a skip.

jambosun

Lantern Swinger
Thanks Joe, Much appreciated. I was going to do that next week to get some advice. Normally though there is an identification reference on the things they issue/loan and there is certainly nothing on the plaque and it was pretty much dumped. The RNTC may the best conduit in gifting this sort of stuff though - that way its all official and above board.

DavenportR

Midshipman
I've done a bit of digging at Ensleigh and found the "owner" of the memorial board who also organised an Armistice Day ceremony there last year. Plans to have another one this year on Friday 11/11 if you are interested. He'd be very pleased to hear from you about the crest with a view to getting both items together in a new home in due course - I'll PM you his contact details.

jambosun

Lantern Swinger
Cheers, I got it and have replied. Really appreciate your help. I'll let you know how it goes.

I've done a bit of digging at Ensleigh and found the "owner" of the memorial board who also organised an Armistice Day ceremony there last year. Plans to have another one this year on Friday 11/11 if you are interested. He'd be very pleased to hear from you about the crest with a view to getting both items together in a new home in due course - I'll PM you his contact details.

jambosun

Lantern Swinger
Cheers, I got it and have replied. Really appreciate your help. I'll let you know how it goes.

Just to let you know that I have been in touch with DavenportR's contact to talk about the Naval Armaments Roll of Honour. We've had a chat about where the most appropriate place is for it to go and he is on the case. Hopefully we'll get a clear way ahead on both the plaque and board soon. Thanks for your help.

grouse

Naval Armament Supply Department Badge

Hi, I have an old badge (pic attached). Is this the same as the one in this thread? I believe the Naval Armament Supply Department was in existance from 1891 to 1923, when its name changed. The badge is made of very heavy bronze and is about 8 inches high. I would be grateful for any further information about it.

Attachments

• NAVAL ARMAMENT SUPPLY DEPARTMENT 1891 to 1923 - mine.JPG
    NAVAL ARMAMENT SUPPLY DEPARTMENT 1891 to 1923 - mine.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 25

jambosun

Lantern Swinger
Hi Grouse, yes that's pretty much the same as the crest although there is a red line on the anchor. The crest I've seen is dated 1956. The info below came from the National Archives.

During the First World War the Directorate of Naval Ordnance was divided, a separate Directorate of Torpedoes and Mining being hived off. After the Second World War this became the Directorate of Underwater Weapons. In 1958 the two were re-united as divisions of the Weapons Department, under the Director General of Weapons (Director General, Weapons from 1960 to 1964). Between 1918 and 1923 and again from 1939 there was a separate Armament Supply Department. From 1940 to 1945 there was a Miscellaneous Weapons Development Department.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Wigan man jailed for longer after killing 13-year-old MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Philippines and the United Kingdom: old friends, new horizons MoD News 0
D Free TV licences for the old and bold Diamond Lil's 14
soleil Dorset Echo: "‘Does Anyone Know My Old Navy Friend?" The Quarterdeck 4
MoD_RSS 21-year-old Manchester rapist sentenced for longer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Highways England traffic officers prove a real role 'model' for 10-year-old Toby MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government bans old coach, bus and lorry tyres from roads in new measures to improve road safety MoD News 0
D Help with old WW1 photo History 10
soleil Portsmouth News: "34 Great Old Photos Of The Famous Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Hermes" The Fleet 1
MoD_RSS Sentence increased for London man who kidnapped and sexually abused eight-year-old boy MoD News 0
U The Old and Bold are revolting Diamond Lil's 12
MoD_RSS Manchester motorway rises up to revitalise 50-year-old bridge MoD News 0
soleil FB: RN - Liverpool: 18-year-old Sailor Rhys Gets A Birthday Surprise From His Family On Board HMS Prince Of Wales The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS The VMD’s old GSI email address will no longer work from 1 April MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Old Hall School: warning notice MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Mum and 5 year old rescued from quick sand at Blue Anchor Beach, Somerset MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Man who sexually assaulted 5 year old jailed for longer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Unique 300 year old scientific drawings at risk of leaving the UK MoD News 0
K Another 17 year old wanting to join the Navy Joining the Royal Navy 20
M 17yr old wanting to join the RN Joining the Royal Navy 21
MoD_RSS HOW A CENTURY OLD SPOON LED TO THE MILITARY BURIAL OF AN ESSEX SOLDIER WHO DIED IN THE GREAT WAR MoD News 0
MoD_RSS VMD email address: the old gsi address will not work from 1 April 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Conor Burns celebrates 2,000 year old Tunisian trade links MoD News 0
Alfacharlie Was the old rum ration days better? Diamond Lil's 4
slim Should Retired Old and Bold Pharts Leave RR? Diamond Lil's 59
Winny Old RN Vids The Quarterdeck 10
MoD_RSS Major demolition milestone at HS2’s Old Oak Common site as Great Western sheds cleared MoD News 0
B OLD age recruit! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS News story: Competition will breathe new life into an old Pacer train MoD News 0
Coggie Really old photos History 1
MoD_RSS Press release: HS2 completes biggest demolition challenge yet at site of new Old Oak Common tunnel crossover box MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement to parliament: Consulting on options to ban old tyres MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Government to consult on ban on 10-year-old tyres to boost road safety MoD News 0
M Waterproofing old jacket The Gash Barge 20
MoD_RSS Press release: HS2 confirms London Euston and Old Oak Common construction teams MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: HS2 reveals Old Oak Common station designs as work ramps up on west London super-hub MoD News 0
R 16 Year Old Wanting To Join RN But Parents Are Apprehensive. HELP! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 31
M Ganges old boys 1963 History 0
themuddyduck Residency Waiver - Old Passports Joining the Royal Navy 4
R Old RM Films The Corps 3
MoD_RSS News story: Commercial vehicle operators using old tyres to face investigations MoD News 0
P What is this old Sub History 37
janner Old Submarine films Submariners 6
MoD_RSS News story: The Borders and Immigration Inspectorate is 10 years old MoD News 0
J Joining as an officer at 26 (soon 27) years old Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
vauxhall Another happy 70 year old Finance & Pensions 0
fishhead Old dog,old tricks Land Ops 0
Sumo Bit of old history from a brave man History 2
soleil Mail: Royal Navy Keeps Old Offshore Patrol Ships It Was Due To Retire For Post-Brexit Coastline Protection The Fleet 1
D Deserting Old and Bold--Why? The Gash Barge 163