Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Old Bases

Safeguard was like my home depot. I did BT3, BT2 & BT1 courses there, also 2 diving courses. At one time I was the killik in charge of the diving store. I was also the Buffer of the Laymoor working out of Safeguard. My last job in Safeguard was as an Instructor. Many happy days, alas all gone too soon.

imom1406 said:
gizawetofyagoffaskin said:
Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but, what about

HMS Cambridge
HMS Vernon

Does Fraser Gunnery range still exist, or has that gone too?

During traning at Raleigh I also remember doing PLXs and such like in a number of old complexes around plymouth sound and overlooking Whitsand Bay. The latter may have been an old fort of some description.

I did IS Platoon training with our ships Booties in 1986 and Cambridge...lovely place!

Was ships company at the place twice, all very nice in the summer but in the winter, it was more like a scene from `ice station zebra` my god it could be rough out there.

stirling said:
HMS Terror....Singers, became tri-service Woodlands Garrison early 70's

I think the Aussies and Kiwi's got it-------ANZAC forces or something
but now its reverted to Singapore along with the dockyard.

was at HMS Raleigh in Late 75 remember visting a place calle "Pier Cellars" which was being used by the bootnecks for assault training. It had a little cottage on the edge of a small harbour and some boat sheds at the end of the bay

Also went into the Black mountains whilst at Royal Arthur in 1980, to a place called Ty Isaf Cottage for outward bound exercises

Anyone remember these and can tell me if they are stil going???

gizawetofyagoffaskin said:
Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but, what about

HMS Cambridge
HMS Vernon

Does Fraser Gunnery range still exist, or has that gone too?

During traning at Raleigh I also remember doing PLXs and such like in a number of old complexes around plymouth sound and overlooking Whitsand Bay. The latter may have been an old fort of some description.

Yeah Fraser Range still exists, it is used by BAE systems to test radar now for the MOD, soon to be redveloped into luxury flats. Shame.

Latest Threads