Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Old Bases

janner said:
The new Defence Minister Reid, is also Jockanese

Reid is Home Secretary..... I think you might mean a different Jock.
As regards the other Brown, His team got a severe slapping at the last By-Election in Dunfermline, when the Liberals trounced them after Brown took personal charge.
So much for his "Personal Fiefdom."

Streaky said:
janner said:

As regards the other Brown, His team got a severe slapping at the last By-Election in Dunfermline, when the Liberals trounced them after Brown took personal charge.

Sorry I'm a couple of days behind, it was last week that Reid was Defence Minister, its now Des Browne another Jock, what the hell do they need their own parliment for?Read all about him

Paxman called Reid Tony Blair's personal attack dog (well, it was along those lines, anyway), and as he seems to have a good grounding in the various departments, it strikes him that he, too, should be in the running for P.M.

Maybe he'd be more of a "friend" to the armed forces than "Prudence" Brown.

For an ex-communist, anyway.

janner said:
Streaky said:
janner said:

Sorry I'm a couple of days behind, it was last week that Reid was Defence Minister, its now Des Browne another Jock, what the hell do they need their own parliment for?Read all about him

Looking at that link I do not hold out any hope of a good defence minister. Just looks like one of one of the grinning monkeys/spew labour (lets stay in power whatever brigade) cronies.
Add to that he is just one more from the legal profession. Why do we have so many of them in all three major parties?

chockhead819 said:
and don't forget the WAFU'S dream draft - HMS GANNET.
Home of 819 & current SAR Flt.
Situated on the Monkton Rd, just off the runway at Prestwick Airport

aeriel_gannet.jpg

Just a few miles from me. :)

Salty-Dog said:
CheefTiff said:
No one has mentioned HMS Fisgard where I joined up yet.

Try:-

www.fisgardassociation.org

You may be aware of this site - but it has some pictures of the demise of Fisgard.

Was there 73/74 - Cooke then Bennett div.

I was there in '71/72 (I liked it so much I stayed for an extra term of Electrics...............henry x pico farad-amp/ohm...........what the hell is that all about) We still went into town to stare at the electric lights where I came from!!)
I was Cooke 2 mess. Bennett was the Westernmost Division. Frew & Lane the Eastern Divisions.
Ahh the raiding parties, I still have pics of Apps tied to the rafters with webbing belts in the 'plastic' WW2 issue Macs.......................& thet say they have fun today!

For those of you with very good memories can anyone say they served at Sheerness?(HMS Wildfire).Do you remember the dockyard closing in the late 1950s and the jetty that was originally a ship of the line(Cornwallis)?

I was on the Barnstone refitting in Sheerness in 1956. We lived ashore in HMS Wildfire. After the refit we coaled ship alongside the coaling hulk, which I beleave was an old Minotar class battleship.

Nei6814 the coal hulk was originally HMS Agincourt.She went for scrap when the dockyard closed.The wooden wall defied the chainsaws of the cutting men and explosives were eventually resorted to.

Engines said:
Salty-Dog said:
CheefTiff said:
No one has mentioned HMS Fisgard where I joined up yet.

Try:-

www.fisgardassociation.org

You may be aware of this site - but it has some pictures of the demise of Fisgard.

Was there 73/74 - Cooke then Bennett div.

I was there in '71/72 (I liked it so much I stayed for an extra term of Electrics...............henry x pico farad-amp/ohm...........what the hell is that all about) We still went into town to stare at the electric lights where I came from!!)
I was Cooke 2 mess. Bennett was the Westernmost Division. Frew & Lane the Eastern Divisions.
Ahh the raiding parties, I still have pics of Apps tied to the rafters with webbing belts in the 'plastic' WW2 issue Macs.......................& thet say they have fun today!

Engines you were there at the same time as me. I was Lane div though and remember the raids, static tank swimming lessons and the rafters mac torture too.. Great times......can't believe they have nearly so much fun now !

spearfish said:
Nei6814 the coal hulk was originally HMS Agincourt.She went for scrap when the dockyard closed.The wooden wall defied the chainsaws of the cutting men and explosives were eventually resorted to.[/quote

Agincourt was coal hulk C.109 and was broken up in 1960 .
She was built originally in 1865 and gross tonnage was 6,621.

spearfish said:
For those of you with very good memories can anyone say they served at Sheerness?(HMS Wildfire).Do you remember the dockyard closing in the late 1950s and the jetty that was originally a ship of the line(Cornwallis)?

Cornwallis was built 1813 and tonnage 1809 she was a hulk made into a jetty --However in 1916 the Cornwallis was renamed Wildfire as the nominal ship for the base Hms Wildfire.
The Cornwallis/wildfire was broken up in 1958.
Wildfire base ceased in 1950

Don't need those bases anymore - remember the Royal Navy is there to protect the Merchant Navy. We now don't have a Merchant Navy (OK a couple of supply boats in Aberdeen - hardly a Navy) thus we don't have a Royal Navy (B'Liar gave it away to the Yanks) so we don't need those bases! After all you get a better class of immigrant these days who knows his rights and won't live in an old base anyway - got to be four star at least!

Nice to reminise tho' Pity the present crews who now have to supply their own uniforms , ships too soon!

Latest Threads