Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Old Bases

What about Portland? the dread that used to fill me going there with the 'Green Death' coming onboard and ahem 'training' us was awful. That said, the greasy spoon just outside the dockyard gate was a cracking place to avoid the Harbour FIREX!! :)

luglessjoiningshackle said:
What about Portland? the dread that used to fill me going there with the 'Green Death' coming onboard and ahem 'training' us was awful. That said, the greasy spoon just outside the dockyard gate was a cracking place to avoid the Harbour FIREX!! :)

Was on Dundas in '65 on the Portland Squadron.. so was part of the green death :D

Chatham Basin was non-tidal, so shore side heads had to be used. Night buckets were placed in the fwd and after bathrooms, to be emptied at call the hands. The Greenie Morning Watchman had to drag a huge galvy bucket that came up past the knees down the Burma Way, up to the flight deck and over the brow without spilling a drop.

Aye, right!
It was down the shower with it, making sure to keep the jobbies in the bucket. Then you could take it ashore..

Anyone remember the night buckets?

HMS Daedulas down on Lee-on Solent. Spent many a good day down there. Turning the tech site into 300 married quarters and the rest into another businness park. The airfield has been sold to coastguard. Waste of a fine base.

Yes remember night buckets used them in the FRC Guz (the sheds) even when they were new in the seventies/eighties. Anyone remember the heads & bathrooms we had to use that were outside on the basin side

Bisley said:
HMS Daedulas down on Lee-on Solent. Spent many a good day down there. Turning the tech site into 300 married quarters and the rest into another businness park. The airfield has been sold to coastguard. Waste of a fine base.

Did you see The Sun (no insult intended) on 22 April ?

They found a 60ft live pipe bomb from WW2 under the runway.
I wonder what the pilots (civ and SAR) thought, opw would say, about that after doing all those circuits and bumps ?
What was the civ squadron there - was it 801 flying Devons os similar ?

Sidon,
have you ever been to the maritime museum in Brisbane? Quite an interesting collection of boats and ships and a very nice Frigate HMAS Diamantina. I visited 2 years ago just after getting married on Hamilton Island.
My wife and I had an excellent tour, given by 3 old and bold. I think that two of them were ex bootneckswho served in the war.

We had a great time and hope to return to Aus in 4-5 years with our new arrival (as soon as she is old enough to appreciate it a little).
Wish I could live there to be honest.....best country in the world.

whitemouse the squadron at Lee was not a civ squadron (at least when I did 6 weeks on it). It was divided into two sections, 781 (VIP) and 781(SAR). It was the only squadron I knew of that was fixed and rotary wing, what the reason for that was I have no idea.

ex_wasp_L2 said:
whitemouse the squadron at Lee was not a civ squadron (at least when I did 6 weeks on it). It was divided into two sections, 781 (VIP) and 781(SAR). It was the only squadron I knew of that was fixed and rotary wing, what the reason for that was I have no idea.

I knew it had an 8 in it somewhere and it was not the SAR helos.
The twin prop Sea Devons had some, if not all, civ pilots , I know we used to call them Admirals Jolly Boats, and I think that they may have been used at times for oil slick spotting (?) amongst others.
I was sent to Lee in the late 70's to computerise the Air stores, and when we completed the task, the Brylcreem mob had demanded (overnight) the complete inventory lot for some of these a/c that they had stowed away, and the civ (I feel sure they were) were up and screaming about no spares and not working etc etc, even the civ storemen were saying they would not work either.
It took us a couple of days to cancel all the docs and sort some ruffled feathers!

Maxi_77 said:
Port Edgar is due to be redeveloped shortly so most if not all of the old buildings will be going. Built as the destroyer base for the Grand Fleet it is a shadow of it's former self these days.

Peter
I WAS DOWN IN WEYMOUTH 2 WEEKS AGO, AND THOUGHT I WOULD GO OVER TO PORTLAND, SAD OH SO SAD, AIR STATION AND OSPREY ALL GONE, HAPPY DAYS, X SKIMMER TRIBAL CLASS

I spent almost three years at DAEDALUS and was there when it closed. A cracking place to work [despite all the WAFU's] and a bloody shame that it was scrapped.

It's still sitting there practically unused (apart from the odd WW2 bomb). Would have been a great place to move Fleet into when it moved down from London. Close to the Motorway and with it's own runway.

No one has mentioned HMS Fisgard where I joined up yet.

Happy memories of Rosyth and Chatham . Live only eight miles from Chats now but it has changed beyond all recognition now. Nice marina though !

Latest Threads