Ol' Spithead

Wightsparker

War Hero
Then pray quote them for me. Nothing despicable as you suggest, If that should happen to any captain then that is a matter of regret notwithstanding the situation unless of course it is a direct dereliction of duty but then they are nevertheless shipped off with a handsome pension. It has been ever thus
OK.
Just to start.
HMS Rawalpindi.
HMS Jervis Bay
HMS Glowworm

What handsome pensions were "shipped off"?

You really are a sad sack.

D

Deleted 113170

OK.
Just to start.
HMS Rawalpindi.
HMS Jervis Bay
HMS Glowworm

What handsome pensions were "shipped off"?

You really are a sad sack.
You are deliberately quoting Total War casualties. In any event their immediate next of kin would have been seen to. And rightly so.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
You are deliberately quoting Total War casualties. In any event their immediate next of kin would have been seen to. And rightly so.
The ships quoted are ships lost in combat, exactly as you asked for, obviously being unable to carry out your own research.

Please explain what you mean by Total War casualties?

redmonkey

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Are warships not designed to go into harms way and deliver diplomacy via other means?

Sometimes that means that by going into harms way we will be harmed and suffer loss. That is what happened.

No plan of operations extends with certainty beyond the first encounter with the enemy's main strength.” The German field marshal, known as Moltke the Elder.

Even Mike Tyson can be quoted with something relevant here.
"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.” ...

Like all organisations the RN makes mistakes and has faults. We live and learn from them.

There were mistakes with the T21 frigates just as there will be mistakes with the T31.

You could say the Admiralty board made a mistake when they allowed you to commission. You could say they recognised the error and did something about it when you were stood over.

Last edited:

Waspie

War Hero
If that is the best you can come up with then my point has been well made. Captains are not expected to lose their ships to enemy action. That is not the idea.
Not expected but 'Sh1t happens' to quote our Elmer cousins.

I find your comment not that what I would expect from one who professes to have served in the RN as a middle ranking officer.

It is expected in any action, that certain vessels are expendable dependant on the type of action they are engaged in.

The more you comment the bigger the hole you descend into!!

Bobservation - Before we draw a veil* over this Op's (@lanky, but now = Deleted 113170) latest ramble:

Almost 4 years ago that the very same 'Norman' expressed family prejudice & displeasures of 1st Sea Lords in general and whom he referred to back then as <<Ol' Thingy from Spithead>> in particular.

Curiously notable is that <<Ol' Thingy from Spithead>> of July 2018...

1653255033632.pngat https://www.navy-net.co.uk/community/threads/titsup.170322/

...went on to re-emerge in this current short-lived and short-thrifted thread as <<old Spithead >> Mmmm

============================= ============================

PS Before our Supermods choose to *lock this thread for Ever & Ever (Pretty please?)" I'll close with a word or two to Norman:

It's been irritatingly painful knowing you, but balanced by the pleasure of knocking you.

Last edited:

Latest Threads