OK so where have you been?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by higthepig, Mar 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. reading some of the remarks ref us wafus,it crossed my mind to do this,Everyone can join in,small ships should come out tops cos they can get to places that carriers cant. Sorry about the bomber queens unless they were skimmers first.No uk ports no detachments only foreign ports on the grey funnel line.So from memory if you dont know where they are look them up, in no particular order, its understood you will have visited lots of them more than once,excuse some spelling. Vigo, Lisbon Gibraltar,Homs, Barcelona,Brest, Toulon, Marseilles, Cannes, Nice,Istanbul,Malta,Limasol,Famagusta,Naples,Cape Town,Durban,Zanzibar,Mombassa,Aden,Karachi,Colombo,Maldives,singapore,Hong Kong,Bankok,Subic Bay,Paula Tioman,Kobe, Freemantle,Djkarta,Manilla,Jesselton,muscat,Bahrein,Cocos Is,gan,Ascension Is,Lots of little uninhabited islands in the indian ocean and Pacific,where you went ashore with a boatload of beer and a barbie,once or twice withthe Marine band for a sods opera.The best runs ashore were always in uniform, couldnt wear civvies.Do they still stop the ship for Hands to Bathe or has health and safety stopped that
  2. Gib, Souda Bay, trip to the Pyramids as ship transitted Suez, Dubai, Bahrain, Doha, Muscat, al-Jubail, Kuwait, Phuket, Penang, Port Klang, Singapore, Manila, Pusan, Hong Kong, Bogmalo in Goa, La Coruna, Bari, Lisbon, Naples, Porto, Barcelona, Key West, Tortola, Antigua, Grand Cayman, Barbados, Curacao, Cartagena, Kingston, Anguilla, Martinique, Monserrat, New York, Mayport, Malta.

I think that's the lot.

We still did hands to bathe in 2003.
  3. Bomber Queens ...... Port Canaveral! Finest of the lot, though, was back in 1969, to Bali - before it had an airport. Oh and Australia - went once, in 1968, and it was shut!
  4. in 1982/3 I did Gib,Port Sudan,Colombo,Diego Garcia (a few times), Mombassa (twice), Dar Es Salam, Karachi,Mauritius,Bahrain,Zanzibar. I can recommend none except for Bahrain and Mauritius
  5. Singapore, Paula Tioman, Penang, Gan, Sychelles, Kuching, Tawau, Sandakan, Hong Kong, Gibraltar, Malta, Leghorn. Athens, Istanbul, Haifa, Algiers, Cape Verde Islands, Freetown, Lagos, Takorardi, Tema, St Johns NF, Quebec, Montreal, Kingston Ont. Toronto, Buffalo, Detroit, Halifax, New York, Haurgasand, Bergen, Stavanger, Helsinki, Lubeck, Keil, Cherbourg, Lorient, Bayonne, Lisbon.

Handicap's, South African, Comminist and Spanish Ports out of bounds, Suez Canal Shut. Persian Gulf only for Gulf Squadron (nobody else would go to the the fly infested place)

Best Detroit
    Worst Quebec

6. Oslo, Bodo, Tromso, Harstaad, Kristiansand, Rejkavik, (All on a skimmer) Kiel, St Malo, L'orient, Stavangar, Haurgasand, Ghent, Lisbon, Gib, Cartagena, Malta, Island of Elba, Puerto Rico, Santo Domingo, Tortola, St Thomas, Bermuda, Baltimore, Boston, Halifax (NS), St Johns (NF), La Geura, Port for Panama City , Callao (Peru), Valparaiso,
    Pitcairn Island (x2), Papeete (X2), Suva, Nukalofa, Villa(New Hebrides), Djarkarta, Cairns, Sydney, Adelaide, Perth, Singapore, Paula Tioman, Hong Kong, Kure, Yokosuka, Bangkok, Sattahip, Azores, Ascension, Falklands, Bali, Goa, Diego Garcia, Bahrein, Banda Abbass, Colombo, Mauritius, Simonstown, St Helena, Las Palmas, Alexandria. (All on a boat and not in any particular order)
  7. Kiel (few times), Archangel, Murmansk, Tromso, St. Petersburg, some rouge Russian Island, Finland, Gib (too many times), Souda Bay (few times), Athens, Malta ( a few times), Naple, Various places in Spain, Mombassa (few times), Cape town, Kuwait, Bahrain, Iraq, Dubai (gulf regions a few times), Scotland (too many times), Dublin ( a few times), Channel Islands, Egypt, Falklands, Poland (3 times), Riga.

And some other places I can’t remember the names of.
  8. Lights out ,pipe down ,I close and remember,dont need to say a list ,the names are tattoed on me arms.
    Sweet dreams
  9. Sorry,time diff,.............eh Sydney
  10. Gibralter, Ascension Island, St Helena, Cape Town, Durban, Mombasa, Masirah, Bombay, Gan, Penang, Singapore, Brunei, Hong Kong, Olongapo (Subic Bay), Kobe, Fremantle, Cyprus, Kavalla, Malta, Brest, Rotterdam,Orkneys, Harstad, St John, Halifax (Nova Scotia), Quebec, Montreal, Hamburg, Naples, Athens, Palma, Virgin isles, Puerto Rico, Ft Lauderdale, Norfolk VA, Mayport, Trinidad, Barbados, Bruges. I think thats about all.
  11. Subic-never knew rn ships were there,when was this?
  12. I was on the Albion 1971-73 on its last commission out in the Far Flung. In September 1971 we paid a 4 day visit to Olongapo. Can still feel the ride in the Jeepneys. It was a painful visit for at least 100 of the crew. Within a fortnight of leaving 'Pubic Bay' they were on a course of penicilin. Still not as bad as the yanks though, they had two of their people shot dead within yards of the dockyard gate.
  13. I was on the Albion 1971-73 on its last commission out in the Far Flung. In September 1971 we paid a 4 day visit to Olongapo. Can still feel the ride in the Jeepneys. It was a painful visit for at least 100 of the crew. Within a fortnight of leaving 'Pubic Bay' they were on a course of penicilin. Still not as bad as the yanks though, they had two of their people shot dead within yards of the dockyard gate.
  14. come on now tingara dont be shy,tell us all where you have been,or were you a barrack stanchion?
  15. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Brussells, British Honduros (well it was when I went there), VeraCruz (Mexico), New Orleans, Washington DC, Key West, Nassau (several times), Barbados (several times), Bermuda (several times), St Vincent, St Kitts, St Lucia, Trinidad, Tobago, Jamica, Grenada, Antigia, loads of other Leeward and Windward Islands, Peurto Rico, Manilla, Panama City, Singapore, Johor Baharu,Bangkok, Hong Kong, Sydney, Hawaii, Guam, British Virgin Islands, Ceylon (again it was when I was there), Gibraltar, Alderney, Bristol, Middlesborough, Lerwick (we weren't meant to go there but it was too rough for a single screwed skimmer to turn around), there were loads of visits to various West Indian Islands but they are lost in the mists of time. Also got a lot closer to Viet Nam than the Cousins Carriers did. Nearly made Cuba but the Yanks put the blockade on in the early '60's so we didn't go, though I think the Yank fleet that arrived to put the blockade on was by far the most ships I'd ever seen at sea in one area
  16. Reply to OLD HAND,done subic early 72 on hobart,
    Thank you for your post.
    when we wer ther a yank was found in the canal,with his an the rest,
    Spent nearly a month at Subic,tetrecycline is easier
    Never got a dose until honkers -blowy
    So higthepig ,what u want ,a confession
  17. Channel Islands, Gib, Lisbon, Stavanger, Bergen, Hagusend, Marieistade, Kolding, Kiel, Willemshaven, Hamburg, Lubeck, Antwerp, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Brest, LeOrient, Le Havre, Sardina, Corsica, Sicily, Naples, Civitavechhia-Port of Rome, Taranto, Genoa, Venice, La Spezia, Bari, Toulon, Marseille, Palma, Deportivo, Athens, Piraeus, Souda Bay, Cyprus, Malta, Ponta Delgada, Istanbul, Izmir, Antayla, Aksaz, Hurghada, Cairo, Dubai, Sharhja, Abu Dhabi, Kuwait, Bahrain, Salahla, Goa, Mumbai, Mombasa, Penang, Dakar, Casblanca, Tunis, Ascension Islands, Barbados, Antigua, Caymen Isles, Virgin Isles, Puerto Rico, Bermuda, Bahamas, Domincan Republic, New York, Mayport, Norfolk, Charlestown, Ft Lauderdale, Falklands, South Georgia, various Scottish ports/islands on small ships and many homeports including; Hull, Newcastle, Falmouth and Liverpool.
  18. tingara dont need a confession just wondered why you thought rn ships couldnt go to subic.Was with crew of hobart(was she ex american?)think it was 67 or 68 i cant remember it was either hong kong or singapore i think she was on rnr from vietnam,were you on it then?you still havent said where youve been so why join the thread?
  19. i dont recall saying RN ships couldnt go to Subic,read the log.
    here we go -
    72 - manus island,subic,hongers,singers,malasia,sumatra ,java,darwin,brisbane ,sydney(home)fiji,hawaii,san francisco(5or 6 months refit)long beach,re ammunition...hawaii,samoa ,fiji ,home
    73 - fremantle,mauritius,mombassa ,malindi,bahrain,karachi,bombay (lost camera in drink)colombo(locked up cos pommy merchant guys went apeshi,another tale)singers etc.
    74-76 just the usual work up /course /exercise ,like rimpac x 3 ,kangaroo 1 2 3,mostly boring ,new zealand a few times
    77 - mombassa.aden,port said ,suez,gibbers,london alongside hms belfast,spithead review,pompeii,devonport,london ,then up doing exs off norway,antwerp,gibbers ,toulon,suez,bonbers,singers ,home
    78 - on sweepers - circum aussie again
    79 - out
    you gratified now,give yourself 3 hail marys ,,,and a uppercut
  20. forgot - the HMAS HOBART wasnt x american,built by the Defoe shipbuilding co,brand new and issued to the Aussie government
    These mofos sure can whip a Countys ass.