Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OK, my turn to ask a question: It's about nicknames.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Doubtless the question has been asked & answered before, but the hopeless search function on the site makes it difficult to find an answer.

My query is where do the origins of the following well-known nicknames come form?

Pincher Martin

Spider Kelly

Jimmy Green

Knocker White

Sharky Ward

Tanzy Lee

Yes I know I should know, shame on me, but sad to say I've either forgotten or never actually knew. I'm guessing Knocker & Tanzy were boxers.

Thanks.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Whoops, how embarrassing :oops:

Didn't realise there was a thread about the same sort of thing in Newbies.

OK, strike off Jimmy Green - thanks for that one.

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Spider Kelly

Nicknames of Jim Kelly, American featherweight boxing champion (1938-39) and his son Billy Kelly champion at the same weight (1955-56).

Tanzy Lee

No specific details on where it originates, but understood to be a 19th-Century Gypsy bareknuckle boxer.

Pincher Martin

Admiral Sir W.F. Martin was Commander-in-Chief on the Mediterranean station in 1860. He made a name for himself (and for his namesakes) by detecting crimes and abuses.

Sharky Ward

After the nickname of John Ward (Yusuf Rais) (c. 1553 - 1622) an English sea captain turned Barbary Corsair, Ward was based in Tunis, where he died of plague. Precise origin of his nickname 'Sharkey' remains unknown.

Knocker White

A Miller's assistant. The assistant's job was to ensure the various hoppers and chutes were free-flowing and clear and would therefore knock all the accumulated flour away to allow it to flow without blocking. His day normally ended with him being white from head to toe from being covered in flour hence the nickname.

Tug Wilson

Derived from the nickname of a former First Sea Lord (1909-11) Admiral of the Fleet Sir Arthur Kynvet Wilson, also awarded the VC when fighting with the Naval Brigade at the Battle of El Teb in 1884 in the Sudan during the Mahdi rebellion. Admiral Wilson's nickname reputedly comes from an incident when he repeatedly ordered a battleship to try and come alongside and in exasperation offered her Captain a tug to assist.

trelawney126

War Hero
Tug Wilson

Derived from the nickname of a former First Sea Lord (1909-11) Admiral of the Fleet Sir Arthur Kynvet Wilson, also awarded the VC when fighting with the Naval Brigade at the Battle of El Teb in 1884 in the Sudan during the Mahdi rebellion. Admiral Wilson's nickname reputedly comes from an incident when he repeatedly ordered a battleship to try and come alongside and in exasperation offered her Captain a tug to assist. Pasted from Sgt P.
I had the priviledge of knowing a Ret'd Naval Engineer Officer (Wally Ramsey) As a Middy in Gibraltar pre WW1 he remembered the incident. Admiral Wilson signalled the battleship and stated that if he couldn't berth the ship he personally would use a battleship as a tug to assist him.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS £22.5 million funding to turn industry waste into environmental wins MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dominic Raab urges world not to “turn away from Rohingya’s suffering” as the UK pledges life-saving support MoD News 1
soleil FE News: "Novatech Ltd Turn Royal Navy Reserves Training Virtual With New RHIB Simulators" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 8
A How to turn off swear censorship? Site Issues 2
MoD_RSS Cardiff’s new transport research network receives £1m UK Government cash boost to turn vehicles green MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New plans to help next generation of young entrepreneurs turn their ideas into reality MoD News 0
soleil Express: "Royal Marines Cuts U-Turn: 1,500 Troops And Assault Vessels Saved" The Corps 9
B Big guns turn fire on No10 The Quarterdeck 41
MoD_RSS News story: Armed Forces turn out to support London Poppy Day MoD News 0
wave_dodger Interesting turn of events... Current Affairs 6
soleil Pomepy News: "Portsmouth Sailors Turn Their Caps Red For Remembrance Day" The Fleet 0
G RAF turn to honesty for new recruiting campaign Diamond Lil's 8
soleil T'graph: "Human Trafficking In East Africa: Why The RN Is Forced To Turn A Blind Eye" The Fleet 0
soleil Pompey News: "Government Set For U-Turn On Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 22
soleil Mail: "Now It's The Navy's Turn! Military Chiefs Show Off Their Firepower" Current Affairs 9
soleil Telegraph: "Fighter Jets About-Turn 'Will Harm Capability’" The Fleet Air Arm 11
Strangelove Defence fiasco: Government U-turn on the F-35 Current Affairs 1
soleil Mail: "Royal Navy Ordered To turn Ship's Guns Around" The Fleet 4
soleil Navy News: "Sailors Turn Blue To Fight Male Cancers" Health & Fitness 0
soleil Pompey News: "Government Ready For A U-turn Over Scrapped Harriers" The Fleet Air Arm 8
scouse Thatchers Biggest U Turn??? ... The Falklands History 22
Merlin28 Russia's Invasion plans turn out to be a lot of hot air Current Affairs 13
soleil Scotsman: "Spending Breakdown U-Turn - Defence Cuts Fear" Bases / Shore Est 0
G Why do good bands turn shite? Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 13
21_Man Your Turn in the Barrel? Diamond Lil's 22
Ja5on Brown U-turn on territorial cuts Current Affairs 0
Maxi_77 Funny How Things Turn Out Current Affairs 7
E Turn around of Naval personel Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
T Big Dees funeral. Hoofing turn out The Corps 6
alfred_the_great £10k for Charity - all hands turn to! Current Affairs 7
slim Brown u-turn could give Iraqi interpreters asylum in the UK Diamond Lil's 33
slim Is this a Government About Turn? Diamond Lil's 5
Seaweed Sods' Opera Turn - 'Singing Defaulters' History 0
ukdaytona Deputy contenders turn to MySpace Current Affairs 0
Sniffle-Snaffle Does Spam turn on your partner during foreplay? Diamond Lil's 14
slim U-turn over Chinese bride refusal Diamond Lil's 11
slim Burgled? Police won't turn up unless burgler in house Current Affairs 35
W Elite troops that helped turn the tide of war The Corps 2
P Dumb Question too scared to ask the CPO Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 15
MoD_RSS Ask a silly question… MoD News 0
Pish Lads I’d like to ask about the swimming during the prnc , is done in 30 m pool ? and what do they consider as a fail during the swim test? Joining the Royal Navy 10
TechFin Heading to the Careers Office, Anything I should ask? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
cobra_wasp97 Just came out of the recruiting office, forgot to ask two most important questions... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
M Ask Madden96. The Gash Barge 210
R Complete Newbie here, I've got a question to ask, and asking for some tips for the RN interview. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
R Complete Newbie here, I've got a question to ask, and asking for some tips for the RN interview. The Quarterdeck 2
slim Ask the Grandads...............Unbiased advice from RRs Old Men Diamond Lil's 72
S Don't ask Don't tell Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
D Dont worry, Ill ask my local unit...... Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 3
S Tattoo Policy, so good they ask it twice (merged thread) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 35