Oilskins

Discussion in 'History' started by soloswitch, Nov 10, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone remember those oilskin smocks they used to issue all those years ago? Found one in the loft the other day, reeks of that plastic smell (probably not too healthy, might shorten my lifespan! :lol:)

All I remember was that they were uncomfortable as fcuk to wear and hot too. Can't remember when they got rid of em though.

2. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

The oilskin I was issued with in 1951 was just that...'oilskin'. The overcoat we were issued was very smart though, it was warm and stylish.

3. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Both replaced for ratings with the burberry ca 1956??? then plastic foulies as loan clothing for boats' crews etc.

4. We had black oilskins at Raleigh in 1980. And they made us try to fold them 'book size'!!

Sent from my HTC One SV using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

5. Had the same in 85, issued book size and returned book size . :)

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

6. Ours had to be folded for kit muster, then hung back up again! Or worn for doubling around the parade ground. :-D

7. No, we were issued with a Burberry in addition to a greatcoat. Oilskins were only issued to upper deck types, cookies didn't get them except as loan clothing when required, same routine for watch coats.

2BM

8. PS. I only ditched my "loan clothing" oilskin when we moved house a couple of years ago.:blank: It had gone mouldy after hanging in the garage for thirty odd years.

2BM

9. Singing "wrap me up in my Burberry and jumper" just doesn't have the same ring, does it? I wonder how many ex Dusties were seen on Fiddlers' Green. mpangel.gif

10. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Ahh! The wonderful Watchcoat, It may have looked crap, but boy how it kept thr draught out when on Guard Duty up the 'trot'. " BOAT AHOY"?......"GUARD BOAT"...."AYE AYE..ALLS WELL" (or something like that?) God help you if you didn't challenge him.

11. At Ganges we got issued an oilskin, berbs and windy berbs which was an evil plastic/nylon thing that as soon as you folded it sprang back to normal size (bit like folding an empty crisp packet). We had to hand the oilskin back when we went on draft though.

12. I seem to remember the bloody things at Raleigh in 1970, but I'm sure we had to hand them back in after basic training.

13. We were never really issued with them as kit, they were just...... there!

14. I think you may be right Dapper, probably still there!