Oh S**t ! (Asteroid Heading This Way)

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by The_Wonderer, Sep 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Re: Oh S**t !

Dont panic, Bruce Willis will save us.

2. Re: Oh S**t !

^_^;

:whew:

Thats ok then.

3. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Re: Oh S**t !

Four posts in before anyone has a clue (without opening the link) WTF the thread is about, Bruce Willis clue notwithstanding.

Title edited to help readers decide if it is worth looking further.

4. Your asteroids playing up again Seadog?

2BM

5. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Humour is sometimes tolerated in Current Affairs. That was funny 2BM.

Now (serious head on) back on topic.

6. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

7. I'll be near enough dead by then so great...I'm going outside to watch the fireworks. Bet the bastard lands on me when I'm having my final BBQ and homebrew!
    Don't care anyway!!!!

8. Ease to 10 there Seadog you will be loosing your street cred.

9. I`m going to start yoga lessons so I can kiss my arse good by when the time comes.

10. Yoga is too painful just sit on top of the photocopier then kiss the image, failing that look for a very good friend.

11. Really it's a better idea to bet on the fact that it will hit us. Then, its a win-win situation: you either survive, or you're rich!

12. Very few experts seem to consider a "grazing" pass through our atmosphere. As I see it, good news that there is no Earth shattering explosion but bad news that it may drag a very large volume of atmospheric gases out to Space. Additionally, every fiery tail in the sky consumes some of the oxygen we may need to breath some day.

13. No one promised you tomorrow lad did they?
    Make the most of today.

14. I might have had my letter from the Queen by then (it might be Charlie) congratulating me on my 100th birthday. I could go out with a bang.

15. Death. The only thing certain in life

16. Nothing to worry about. Its guidance system was designed by Kim Il Sung...

Seriously though, we've had more than our share of unnecessary panics about these. They can sometimes pass the Earth at very close proximity like this one, but are extremely unlikely to hit us. I'd stop worrying about that and worry instead about Yellowstone Park going up in lava, global warming or the catastrophic destruction of the ozone layer by solar emissions..... all of which have the potential to destroy most life on earth, except for extremophile bacteria, perhaps.

17. Unless you're religious.... then you live forever, surrounded by virgins, grapes, sunlight and all that.

18. No i def gonna die, anything that comes after that is a bonus

19. I do find myself wondering though.... if you die as a martyr for Islam, are the guaranteed and perpetual virgins always clad in a burqa or nothing?