Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

OH DEAR WRONG AIRFIELD!!!

sidon55 said:
The next Ryanair into Derry got the airport right but it was 3 hours late. Could be he spent that time trying to make up his mind which was the correct aiport

Brings a whole new meaning to the term "decision height"

I think it was a couple of years ago a civvy owned hunter being flown by a foreigner made an approach to Yeovilton instead of Judwin/Westlands. Not only did he get the wrong airfield but he joined for the wrong runway...oh how we laughed!!!

A smaller black cat but I have vague memories of a BEA Viscount landing at Abbotsich in mistake for Glasgow air port at Renfrew date C1960. After some fuss it flew to Renfrew. NB Abbotsinch os now Glasgow Airport

Nutty said:
There was a story of a Pan Am 707 putting down on Northolt instead of Heathrow in the late 60's having mistaken Southall Gasometer for Hounslow Gasometer which at that time was used as a line up point for Heathrow.

Mabe just a dit, do our flyboys know.

Found on Google

Nutty

Affirm.

That incident definitely happened, although I think it may have been another airline ( possibly PIA ) The cabin had to be stripped to reduce take off weight for the transit to Heathrow. Maybe the combination of an overseas aircrew, too much
R/T, limited visibility, and two towers that are identical, were contributory factors. Do those towers still have separate, three letter codes, painted on the side?

granville said:
Nutty said:
There was a story of a Pan Am 707 putting down on Northolt instead of Heathrow in the late 60's having mistaken Southall Gasometer for Hounslow Gasometer which at that time was used as a line up point for Heathrow.

Mabe just a dit, do our flyboys know.

Found on Google

Nutty

Affirm.

That incident definitely happened, although I think it may have been another airline ( possibly PIA ) The cabin had to be stripped to reduce take off weight for the transit to Heathrow. Maybe the combination of an overseas aircrew, too much
R/T, limited visibility, and two towers that are identical, were contributory factors. Do those towers still have separate, three letter codes, painted on the side?

Another useful clue other than the 3 letter ID on the tower should have been the green Pundit flashing the airfield ID code in morse. (Red for Mil airfields).

It's not just civvies either, I can think of at least 2 occasions where observers have directed their Lynx to sattelite airfileds and not the major airfields.

Bloody scam artists! Lets land at the wrong airport so people desperate to relieve themselves have to pay £1 per whizz! Probably put the sound of running taps as the on board listening

Don't forget the 747 that nearly landed on the road that parrallels Heathrows main runway. That was lat 90's early this decade I believe.

whitemouse said:
Probably the wrong forum, but did any of you guys see The Sun on 22 April?

A 60 ft live pipe bomb has been found under the runway at Daedalus.
I spent six months there in late 70s, and I wonder how many of the aircrew civ and pusser (801 squadron?) doing circuits and bumps have some thoughts on this phenomenon ?

They only removed them from Southampton Airport about 10 years ago.

They were laid during the war to prevent them being used, for a day or two, if we got invaded
100952.html
http://archive.thisishampshire.net/2006/4/24/100952.html

Pipe bomb made safe at Daedalus
From the archive, first published Monday 24th Apr 2006.

A GIANT pipe bomb discovered under the runway of a former Royal Navy base in Hampshire has been made safe.

Parts of Lee-on-the-Solent could be evacuated when it is removed by bomb disposal experts.

The British device was discovered during survey work at the former HMS Daedalus site.

Pipe mines were laid under all airfields within ten miles of the coast in the early years of the Second World War when the possibility existed of an invasion by Germany - but most were removed following the war.

The mines were up to 100ft long in 10ft sections, and were pushed into the ground at an angle, in a pattern across the whole of the airfield.

In the event of an imminent invasion, they would have been detonated, thereby denying access to the landing strips for enemy aircraft.

The Daedalus site was recently bought by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency from Defence Estates.

The MCA is to build a new search and rescue helicopter hangar on 256 acres at the site, which closed down as a working airfield in 1966, with work due to start next month.

The Defence Logistics Organisation found the bomb under the southerly runway when they were carrying out investigations for any remaining buried ordnance as part of the sale process.

An Army bomb disposal team will plan the ordnance removal, which could involve some evacuations of nearby homes.

It was confirmed that the mine had been made safe, but will still require removal.

The operation would probably involve small controlled explosions to cut the pipe into manageable sections.

I was at Daedalus in the late 80s when it was realised that the airfield was covered in these bombs. The base was closed for a couple of weeks and everyone sent home on extra leave while they were cleared. Everyone, except those of us who were finishing training soon, so wouldn't be able to make up the lost time on Saturdays. We had to spend the time living in the Field Gun Mess and doing security patrols round the airfield...

I was at Daedalus in the early 80's and rode my Pusser's Red Devil along the runway many times delivering Victuls to the Skippers house!!

Perhaps I could claim some backdated danger money!! :lol:

Latest Threads