Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Oh Dear! How Sad! .... Never Mind!

Disgraceful! That is certainly no way to treat our heroes in light blue when it is the fault of some desk-jockey.

Brave of you MGM to admit that you read that shite rag.

It's their own fault. As we are reminded every single month:

"It is your responsibility to check that the pay details provided are correct, any discrepancy should be reported to the UPO immediately."

have to agree Monty ... its everyones responsibility to check your pay details are correct. Mind wonder how many of them would have started to shout if the were short each month!

It's not necessarily their own fault. If you are expecting a pay rise throught promotion or gaining a qualification you will see an increase in your salary. How do you know if it is the correct amount or not. You used to be able to claim under a process know as "Estople" where though no fault of your own (or unknown to you), you were paid the incorrect salary.

Last edited:
It's not necessarily their own fault. If you are expecting a pay rise throught promotion or gaining a qualification you will see an increase in your salary. How do you know if it is the correct amount or not. You used to be able to claim under a process know as "Estople" where though no fault of your own (or unknown to to you), you were paid the incorrect salary.

Because you should know what rate of pay you're on and check it.

It's their own fault. As we are reminded every single month:

"It is your responsibility to check that the pay details provided are correct, any discrepancy should be reported to the UPO immediately."
You've changed. I wouldn't expect you to crawl *********** of Pusser like that. ;-)
Tup three!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

It's not necessarily their own fault. If you are expecting a pay rise throught promotion or gaining a qualification you will see an increase in your salary. How do you know if it is the correct amount or not. You used to be able to claim under a process know as "Estople" where though no fault of your own (or unknown to you), you were paid the incorrect salary.

Yes it is. People are quick enough to squeal when they're underpaid, especially when LSA has been reclaimed because of the lack of facility to date track forward.

If the pay looks high or low, just ask the ship's office to double check.

Edited to add: They're RAF anyway, so they're always overpaid no matter how much they take home.

Last edited:
There is no doubt in my mind that some of them knew they were being overpaid, as there are always those who know to the exact penny how much they should be getting. Windowlickerscribes will be able to confirm, very very few come forward when they get too much, but by god they are in the UPO fast enough when they are short (or think they are).

Though I don't know the details and am now, as I keep on smugly stating, long out of the loop this NVQ thing is a bit of a minefield to be fair. A bright-eyed baby two ringer at Raleigh some years ago decided to interpret the rules in her own way (to be good to 'her chaps'), overriding the UPO, and sadly the Office Manager failed to fight her decision. Some months later this 'mistake' was brought to light and a good few (White Mafia if I remember correctly) had to repay what was fortunately not a huge amount of money, but I would guess accepted in good faith across the board. I know that some questioned the decision.

She's probably at least a two and a half now.