Oh Ballochs!!

Bob, I gave you a like for the title - very clever!

As a sprog, I went on trips on 'The Maid' frequently. It has been very sad seeing her lying there at Lomond Shores all these years. I hope they get her burning and turning again.

Last edited:
@SONAR-BENDER She always struck me as a Hospital Ship when rigged & running in her old livery.

1547182685366.png

A trip on any paddle steamer is an experience all weans enjoy & remember, WAVERLEY will be along the South Coast again this Summer so I'll be aiming to get the Grandbrats aboard for a 'must do' trip.

Paddle splashers used to run regular services to/from the South Island, usually giving the end of S Parade Pier a hefty nudge or two on their circuits.

Here are a couple of shots of the RYDE, at her prime before becoming a permanently sad fixture on the mud up the river Medway, I of W.

1547185737038.png

1547185591622.png 1547185949532.png

Only last November the BBC reported that restoration plans are afoot. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-46385127

Whilst nice to know breath is not being held..,

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
The paddlers were part of the regular service to the IoW early 60's, spent many an afternoon going backwards and forwards as the bar was open when not alongside. Also remember the Forceful. Waverley visits Weymouth most years.

Dusty70

Lantern Swinger
Weren't they the most powerful tugs in the world at the time ?

Couple in Guzz and in Pompey for the Carriers, Vanguard, Lion and Tiger etc ?

Weren't they the most powerful tugs in the world at the time ?

Couple in Guzz and in Pompey for the Carriers, Vanguard, Lion and Tiger etc ?
There goes my dyslexic head, I didn't see powerful, I thought I saw beautiful, and thought everyone to their own :)

Dusty70

Lantern Swinger
courtesy of RFA website

RMAS FORCEFULFrom Mark C. Last paddle tug used by the Admiralty in Portsmouth, withdrawn from service in 1981 to be replaced by RMAS Adept (TUTT - twin unit tractor tug). Director class, built in the late 50's to work alongside Aircraft carriers, were diesel/electric and had independent paddles.
1957 from builder to Portsmouth under CD. 10.11.81 transferred to DNAW as a missile target at Aberporth Range.

And phots of the rest

http://rfanostalgia.org/gallery3/index.php/RMAS/Tugs/Director

@SONAR-BENDER She always struck me as a Hospital Ship when rigged & running in her old livery.

View attachment 36489

A trip on any paddle steamer is an experience all weans enjoy & remember, WAVERLEY will be along the South Coast again this Summer so I'll be aiming to get the Grandbrats aboard for a 'must do' trip.

Paddle splashers used to run regular services to/from the South Island, usually giving the end of S Parade Pier a hefty nudge or two on their circuits.

Here are a couple of shots of the RYDE, at her prime before becoming a permanently sad fixture on the mud up the river Medway, I of W.

View attachment 36491

View attachment 36490 View attachment 36492

Only last November the BBC reported that restoration plans are afoot. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-46385127

Whilst nice to know breath is not being held..,
Use to frequent the "Ryde Queen" as she was known when it was a night club! Shame that is been allowed to rot away!

Coming as I do from 'the Burg', we used to use the steamers, as they were called, quite a lot. Most towns had a pier and it was a lovely day out to do a trip round the lochs or down the river to Rothesay. They were based at Craigendoran pier, which is just outside the Burg. In its heyday it was a double pier terminus and railway station - sadly all in ruins now, thought there is still a train platform there.

I used to love going below and watch all the pistons thrusting in and out (fnar fnar missus!) and the smell of hot oil, diesel stem and, oh yes, vomit. Even in those early days I was not a good sailor!

I've been on Waverley a couple of times since and would love to see the Maid back on the loch.