Oggies!

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
We have just had Ginster's for tea. Yes, I know, I know - however, needs must as they say. I've put this in Lil's for a reason!

Yes, even in deepest darkest southern Spain we can get Ginster's and even 'Pukka Pies' pasties. But sadly not Ivor or Ron's. There is a 'British' butcher somewhere who is alleged to make decent pies and things, but we can't yet leave our province to find out.

So, as we were chomping through a brace of Cornwall's finest, my leader says 'I think I'll have a bash at making these' and so the discussion began. What cut of meat. type of pastry etc.

Troops - do you have any culinery experts in the field of home-made oggies? Granny's secret recipe? I know we could Google it, but where would be the fun in that?

So, roll out your best Rum Ration Oggie recipe and make an old submariner very happy!

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Diced beef, potato and onion is all you need, some people put swede in which is acceptable.

I live where Ginsters factory is and no-one, repeat no-one, local (or anywhere else in Cornwall) eats them. I get mine from the local pasty shop and they're proper 'ansome.

Both Dewdney makes are passable imitations but not like the real thing.

RabC

MIA
Yes to the swede and the beef is skirt, put a knob of butter on top of the filling before crimping the oggy. Be daring and add a little Stilton, lush.

mainbrace

Lantern Swinger
I like both Ron's and Ivor's for the filling, but their pastry is always greasy. Best by miles for me is Warrens whenever I'm in Guzz. I usually get them from the bakery shop in Union Street, opposite the Lidl / Lord High Admiral pub.
If you're making your own, a cheap cut of flank / chuck steak is called for with spud, onion and swede. The key mystery ingredient is black pepper. That's according to my oppo's wife in Padstow, to which I can attest, and she's only been making oggies for 50 years.

Lemacque

Midshipman
a lot of places do international deliveries, at a price though. Steer clear of the ones in the dockyard, I'm pretty sure they're supplied by the regular Pidgeon culls.....

Skirt and Shin the underrated cuts of British beef as used traditionally in Cornish pasties. Cheap and easily cooked. The most expensive bit was black pepper an essential ingredient.
In the days of canteen messing and oggies on the menu with the cook of the mess being accused of short-changing the hands the cry would go up. One half potato the other half all potato --bloody typical,

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Skirt and Shin the underrated cuts of British beef as used traditionally in Cornish pasties. Cheap and easily cooked. The most expensive bit was black pepper an essential ingredient.
In the days of canteen messing and oggies on the menu with the cook of the mess being accused of short-changing the hands the cry would go up. One half potato the other half all potato --bloody typical,
No black pepper in a traditional oggy.

mainbrace

Lantern Swinger
No black pepper in a traditional oggy.
Wrecks
I've just Googled 'traditional Cornish pasty recipe'. The first 6 that I clicked on all include salt and pepper and most freshly ground black pepper. I haven't bothered looking any further. Maybe I would have had a different result Googling 'traditional oggie recipe'? Life is too short.

Latest Threads